Thread: Yet another ID request

Fat_Chilli

Yet another ID request

Hi all, reletively new to the saltwater scene, so I ask for advise.
    Caught this a few months back before I bought my boat under the Coomera river bridge, it was the second one I have caught and was the smaller of the two.
    I have asked around and got different answers, so I throw it out to you guys.

Cheers

Re: Yet another ID request

'Blubber lip bream' aka 'Morwong'

The fish below that black fella are not bream they are grunter.
    cheers

looks to be a triple-tail or similar to me, not a blubberlip bream, the big dorsal fin gives it away, agree that the others are grunter. NOTE LEGAL SIZE IS 30cm on these fish
    IF IN DOUBT THROW IT Back. I would recommend u get a good fish id book, a tide guiide (has legal limits in it) and go fishing with some1 who knows thier stuff b4 u get hit with a fine and possiably loose ur car as well

Id have to say blubberlip on the big fella (morwong)
    tripple tail have tree rounded fins that fellas tail apears to be concave...
    Others r grunter..

It is a Morwong, just fair eating, that's why they are called a MILF on here "mother in law fish" cause thats who you give it to.

R_K_HILL

Blubberlip

mother in law fish even the cat will not eat it

Fat_Chilli

Quote Originally Posted by land-lubber
    I would recommend u get a good fish id book, a tide guiide (has legal limits in it)
    Got one but Morwong is not in it.

Learning something new everday ::

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Chilli
    [quote author=land-lubber link=1155779594/0#2 date=1155781860] I would recommend u get a good fish id book, a tide guiide (has legal limits in it)
    Got one but Morwong is not in it.

Learning something new everday #::
    [/quote]

Er Fat Chilli - I think the suggestion of the book is to check the other fish in your picture - which seem to be NOT legal ???

Fat_Chilli

Realise that, point taken. Give me some suggetions for better books. Last thing I want to be doing is breaking the law. Wouldn't go down to well in my current profession.
    Also did a search on Morwong and they don't seem to look like that...
    Remember what I stated in my first post, new to Saltwater fishing and after assistance (only fishing I used to do before I moved up here was freshwater fly fishing).
    I have removed original pic on the grounds of not wanting to incriminate myself.. put it down as a learning curve, now straightened. Thanks.
    I am always willing to go out fishing with others (or take my boat) more experienced to learn, any offers please PM me.

And I did actually give it to my mother inlaw..

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Chilli

And I did actually give it to my mother inlaw..
    #

Grant's Guide to Fishes is a good reference book

Muzz

G'day Fat Chilli

Blubber Lip for mine...have attached a pic of the wifes 2kg on 2kg line. They might be a MILF but pound for pound the little buggers put up a bit of a tussle!

Well done mate!

Geoff

Blubberlip for sure, burn that photo mate!!

blubberlip - contrary to popular opinion i reckon theyre good eating! good fight too. love prawns they do. get em a bit when jacking in summer. hard to scale, but the flesh is nice and white.

cuzza

Definetly a Morwong we caught one in the Brisbane river once just under indooroopilly rail bridge nice catch they are a bit of fun on light gear.
    Cheers Jpart10