Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squid - Fraser Island

Gorilla_in_Manila

Squid - Fraser Island

Hi,

This may well be an exercise in futility, but was wondering if it was possible to catch squid landbased from some where like Wathumba on Fraser Island.

Got my week up at Orchid beach coming up in October and was just thinking of trying something different on a couple of mid day high tides I'm not sure what else to do with. Not likely to drive all the way down the island just to have a bash at this, but if it was possible up north somewhere, I'd like to give it a go.

Cheers
    Jeff

Re: Squid - Fraser Island

When we lived in Hervey Bay(thank God we don't now)we often used to go over to Kingfisher Bay Resort and stay in our unit there and daily fished from the Jetty. We always caught plenty of fish and(when the time was right)also caught lots of squid and they were huge too. They love the prawn squid jigs and often you can see schools of squid under or beside the Jetty. Its easier to catch them when you can see them.
    Happy Sqidding
    Cheers
    Rose

Gorilla_in_Manila

Thanks for the reply Rose.

Not sure if I'm going to get a chance to try the Kingfisher jetty since the tides sort of dictate we need to be driving past to get up to or from Orchid beach. With fuel prices the way they are, it would be a pretty expensive feed if I chose to drive back down there for a day during the week, even assuming I caught some.

Do you remember any particular time of day, time of year or tide that you caught the squid on when you were there?

Cheers
    Jeff

NeilD

We have picked up Squid from near Wathumba from the boat so you could be in for a chance on the weed beds out the front.

Neil

Gorilla_in_Manila

Thanks Neil, seems it's possible at least.

Do I dare get my hopes up; sure to flop if I do.

Couldn't remeber whether there were weed beds out the front or not. Only been to Wathumba once about 5 years ago, and got well and truely nailed by sandflies. Vowed never to return and the three of four days of itching torture I endured afterwards helped to wash all memory of the Wathumba scenery from my brain. I've since tried the sandfly repellant mixes that I learnt from previous ausfish posts and they seem to work, so (perhaps foolishly) I'm thinking of returning.

Cheers
    Jeff

Hi Gorilla
    The last time we were staying in our unit at Kingfisher Bay Resort(before we sold it)was in September 2001. I looked up my diary for that year and the squid had been there for about 2 months non stop. It looks like we caught them at all times of day and tide did not worry us too much on the Jetty, as it is so deep from about half way out to the end of the Jetty. But I do remember that we just caught so many squid that we gave them to other unit owners and guests. Actually they were so big that we ended up using them for bait and froze most of them and filled our freezer up on the mainland. I have never, to this day caught another squid and believe me, I have tried very hard.
    Up here in Cairns they are very scarce so I assume they prefer cooler waters down south. We do catch the white calamari squid here though only in the cast net(great for live baiting)
    When you arrive at Fraser just ask the locals and they will help you no boubt.
    Cheers
    Rose

Gorilla_in_Manila

Thanks again Rose.

That sounds promising, perhaps they will play the game in October. I had no idea they could be so prolific up there. It will be my first squid if I can manage it.

2 gold stars for keeping such an acurate diary and another for being able to find it.
    Plan to turn over a new leaf and try keep a fishing diary when I move back to aus later this year. Wish I had started 30 years ago when I first started fishing, but wishing ain't gunna fix that.

Anyway, thanks again. hope the fishing is going alright for you up in Cairns.

Cheers
    Jeff

Gidday Gorilla

You bet you can get squid up there

They are still catching them at kingfisher at the moment. they are a bit finnicky but talk to the guys at the jetty hut and they will set you straight.

I have seen them up near Wathumba........ particularly around the coffee rock a few Klms south of Wathumba. Good trevors there as well.

The attached pic is from yesterday off the kingfisher jetty
    Dont Blame me....... I voted for Johnny!
    GO THE BORG!

This is from the end of July
    Dont Blame me....... I voted for Johnny!
    GO THE BORG!

Gorilla_in_Manila

Thanks Van; couple of good sized beasts you have there.

Will definitely give it a whirl at Wathumba.
    Who knows, if the weather turns to shite, for the east coast top end, I might even do the run down to the Kingfisher Jetty. Haven't seen Lake Mackenzie / central station area yet anyway.
    Even if I don't drive down there myself, the sister and Bro in law usually get the weights bunged on them to take their 4 kids down to Mackenzie anyway, so might be able to bum a lift with them, or assign a calamari mission to my bro in law whilst I have a nice midday snooze.

Cheers
    Jeff

got a 30cm+ squid a couple o weeks ago in h/bay, if there in h/bay there at the kingfisher jetty, it is not uncommon to get 14-16 in 2hrs. Go the smallest jig u can find, rainbow works well for me, id say avoid the fluro colours (pink blue etc) if u can, they are finicky. even better, get a herring on a steel jig. i used to work there and never failed to get a feed if they were there. use the heads for bait under the dump barge off the end on a 4/0 octopus hook, deadly on the trevs
    cheers

Gorilla_in_Manila

Thanks for the reply Land-lubber.

Seems everything points to the Kingfisher Jetty; hope I can get down there.

I know the old man had a couple of yo-zuris in his tackle box (which I was planning on lifting ), I'll try find one of those bait ones as well before I go.

Cheers
    Jeff

Gorilla_in_Manila

Bump.

Great replies so far. Anyone else with opinions or info?

Thanks
    Jeff

On frazer island, there should be no worries catching quid, just have ur torch shining on the water there at kingfisher jetty, berly em up, and get ur jigs out and theres more than enuf there for ya

Gorilla_in_Manila

Thanks for the reply Matt.

Another vote for Kingfisher Jetty, and a night time one at that.

Still not sure if I'm going to get down that way (very unlikely it will be at night if I do) but if the weather turns to crap, might be nothing much happening up north, and I'll be forced to go for the run south.

Hope I haven't just put the mocker on myself.

Cheers
    Jeff