Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: jigging

Re: jigging

Cool stuff here. Went to the jigging seminar on Friday afternoon at the boatshow. Good stuff, he pointed out repeatedly that this style of fishing will destroy your gear very quickly due to the size of fish you catch.....oh what a problem to have I thought
    I'm quite willing to come home with a 40kg Amberjack and a trashed reel, damn fine excuse to go shopping!

Seriously though I've decided to give this a go on the closer reefs off the Gold Coast rather than going way out wide, realise the fish might be smaller but it sounds like a very instantaneous & rewarding way of fishing. Decided to use my existing gear initially so spoke to Doug Burt down here who's got a fair selection of jigs. He set my Penn 330i up with 50lb braid and a 200grm Luminous Surecatch rattling jig, also got a couple of 160grm and 120grm Live squid jigs that really look like a squid. Figured when I got tired of the full on jigging I could relax to a more sedate movement with these squids and hopefully pick up some Snapper.
    He suggested the outer edge of the 36's would be the place to start.

Allan are those Mpegs short clips that show you the movement you use?

yep damon knows his stuff!

The penn 330i are a really shit reel. If you can i would get a shimano, TLD are a good reel. Tt will pay in the end, especially the way that the fish you will be chasing will pull. the drag doesn't stand up to the punishment

"Reef Hustler" - Seafarer Victory 6.0m & 225hp Honda

I agree with Blue rogue about the pen not being up to scratch and even though im using a tld 20 (starting out with gear i got aswell ) I know that a mate of mine blew a couple of tld's up using them as jigging reals, Im looking at getting a couple of torium 30's

ok so I've got a shit reel but it will have to do the job for the moment.
    Interesting to read the bush n beach report on P11 about Bay Snapper on plastics. Now this in my eyes is jigging with lighter gear and a gentler action and they point out that you should think light ie lighter gear will get more bites. Fishing the 24's sound similar so I wonder if I'm gearing up too heavy. Haven't been out for a fish in 8 weeks so I'm chomping at the bit prepping gear but not yet getting out

Not trying to wuzzy up the post here I will eventually get to the 50's but just not yet!

there is a huge difference in 'jigging' plastics on light line and deep water jigging. fishing light in know pelagic hotspots is just ganna cost you a heap of money in lost gear. The fish we are targeting all have serious attitude problems and if you dont get them off the bottem before they wake up - bye bye expensive jig.

shawn/jason - thanks for the vid - got it today and had a quick look, some awesome footage on there. i got those special marks off a bloke from work too..........so looks like we might be in for some good fun next trip out.

cheers, Justin

trout3030

What are the River 2 Sea range (Sea Rock and Metal Knife) of jigs like? They seem a bit cheaper than the jigs ace brand.

The sea rocks are OK but I have found that the fish "wise up" to them after a while. The Knife jigs well...... lets just say I don't spend much money on them. The small knife (100-150grm) can be used in the shallow water(to 30m)
    The ones to look for are the slims or end weighted so that you can locate the fish and attack them. I fish a lot with Fisherman products($$$$$&#36 The web site is www.fisherman.ne.jp
    it has a English version and should give you all a better idea on jigging.
    Have kids jigging as well - what a blast!!!!

Thanks once again for the replies to my "dopey questions" I'm looking forward to absolutely trashing my shit reel on the 50's and posting the pickies..... it will happen! , either a pickie of the reel or the fish ....oh yeah! 8)

G'day all Just got back from a 3week stint up near Bowen. Went jigging out at the Shoals and GBR. I used the Torium 16 with a Calstar rod. Had a ball on some awesome GT's, Bludgers and coral trout.We had 1 Shimano Torium16, 1 Accurate and 1 Daiwa jigging reel. The Torium16 and Accurate 665H were on Calstar's whilst the Daiwa reel was on a Samurai blank. All woked faultlessly under extreme conditions. The jigs we used were the 300g TT Depth Chargers and 300g River 2 Sea Knifes.. All worked great but the TT's shone thru..Going to run a short length of multi strand wire next time Bloody Spaniards.. Hope to have some pics up soon.

Here's a Trevor that took a liking to TT JIG

I recently had my first ever go at Deep Water Jigging on a charter trip off Cairns and absolutely loved it! We had heaps of fun on the trevally and it sure is a great way to enjoy sport fishing. I think I might even be addicted.
    Ultra keen to have another go at this off Mooloolaba in the not too distant future. I'm currently in the process of putting together a jigging outfit (just like jeff). At this stage I'm matching a Torium 30 spooled with 80lb fireline on a St. Croix Saltwater 24-37kg stick which should do the trick.
    Any other help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Have attached a pic from the trip up north.

Cheers,
    Herby

One that could help you out is stick in one of the "cal's" top drag plates. Had one sent to me from Jack in Cairns and pushed my drag pressure to 12-13kg.
    The thing that I consider important is the overall weight of the outfit that you use. Myself -calstar 760L with a 6000 saltiga and 80lb PE line, and after a few fish it does get heavy.
    Tight Lines
    Allan

Thanks for the feedback and info Allan.
    Are these "cal's" you refer to readily available and how much are they? ???
    I'll have a scout around for them on the w/e. Would no doubt make a big difference when fighting a decent fish.
    I totally agree re: the weight of the outfit. it's hard enough work without the rod and reel weighting a ton!
    Personally I think the torium 30 and the St. Crox stick are fairly lightweight but only time will tell I guess.
    Allan, do you use braid or mono? Is 80lb Fireline suitable and strong enough?

Cheers,
    Herby

80lb fireline is like fencing wire! its really stiff and doesnt really have the wear of other true braids.

if you wanted to get away as cheap as possible grab some 80lb platypus super braid, or if you want to go all out get the PE line shikari uses, or the Jigman X8 (i think?). Thats that multi-colour stuff. Its a lot softer than the fireline and looks to have a tighter weave to the super braid.

cheers, Justin