Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: jigging

Re: jigging

sounds fine, jeff. I've tried that it works fine.

Have to say that those particular hooks, have crap corrosion resistance and have found that the bottom whipping comes undone after a session.

I think the reason for having the jig on the split is so that no tension is on the jig loop, which might cause it to spin and flutter and torque about the line.

George

those Gamakatsu red cord fail > use a lot of the red cord for making up assist hook rigs but the hook used are very soft and do bend. Lost some great fish with these

Gorilla_in_Manila

Cheers George,
    Was just thinking the less links in the chain, the less likely one will let go.
    Jeff

just playing around 8)

shawn

Quote Originally Posted by shikari
    just playing around 8)

WOW!! I can't wait until you get serious.

thanks guys. ill put the split on the eye of the jig now. the splits are 80lb "owner". was debating getting stronger ones but figured my main line is only 70lb and fishing with only around 12kg's of drag they should suffice (FOR NOW). will buy some biggger ones next week.
    those jig hooks were just ones i had laying around from a previous shopping splurge. none of the tackle stores up here are really into all this sortta stuff so a trip to brisvegas is on the cards for next weekend.

shikari-what'd it weigh?

hi, frisky bugger caught garry by surprise. I'm fishing for these fish with C&R in mind. As you can see by the size of the fish they are a bit big to hold on scales. The ones that we have weighed have given us a close (+-3-5kg) weight to length scale. So 1500mm=50kg. Sure not for the record books so accurate enough for my customers. The other point is the fish weighed and then released struggle to swim away. So fish handling is one of the more important issues that I stress on board.
    With the fish handling side, we have a major FRDC funded project happening out of Perth. The plan is to tag 3000+ Samson fish and use various release methods. This project will be studying spawning aggregations off the west coast, with university's(UWA, CURTIN, MURDOCK), The WA fisheries dept, and local anglers all working together. So if any one is planing to visit the west this could be a very fishy reason to do so. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
    Garrys jumping fish was aprox 55kg

This is wat we need to see more often great work guys, nothing better then every1 throwing ideas around that help fello fisho's out. I will agree with the jigs ace being a better jig then the sure catch as my boaty out done us last weekend (just after we found the fish while he was sleeping) he woke dropped his jig in and pulled 3 fish out befor Justin or me could count too 3. and on his 3rd he pulled an 11kg Gt > (would post pic but it aint working )

jig ace? hope you are not paying too much for those Singapore jigs.
    we must have a larger range 4sale over here. I have a preference for Fisherman jigs. I would say that the Crazy Long 420grm is one of the most effective jigs i have used. One other is a Smiths Jackknife 320grm.
    Try Fisherman at www.fisherman.ne.jp as a lot of the specialty gear has to be imported. There are many Japanese sites, for that matter there are jigging sites all around the world. Great for those starting out to get a grip on the action and different techniques. Of course i would be happy to show you but I am in the west. Could send mpegs for those interested
    tight lines
    Allan

hi Allan, would love to get amonst those fish you have over there and will one day

How much do those jigs land here in au or if you can get them on your side of au whats is the price

I also am quite interested in those mpegs, how many you got and wat sorta size you talking bout

I do import some from SE Asia and Japan.
    one to look at is www. fisherman.ne.jp
    As for the mpegs, PM your address and i can send a cd across.
    Coral Trout love jigs, would put another photo up but it is exceeding capacity

some of the perth fish
    http://www.westernangler.com.au/foru...umid=35&page=4
    some hurt on
    fish here
    hard to post photo's
    tight lines
    Allan

NeilD

Geez Allen, some awesome Sambo's there.
    Do you ever pick up anything else?

Cheers Neil

ok I'll stick my hand up and ask the stupid questions.
    Why are jigs like this made with the hook separate on a bit of string? What's wrong with a heavy spoon with trebles? [smiley=stupid.gif]

Damn fine fish there Allan ,I'm impressed.

shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Burley_Boy
    ok I'll stick my hand up and ask the stupid questions.
    Why are jigs like this made with the hook separate on a bit of string? What's wrong with a heavy spoon with trebles? [smiley=stupid.gif]
    As far as I know it's to do with leverage.......with the jigs weighing an average of 300 grams, the fish shaking it's head would have a good chance of shaking the hook out. Another reason might be the length of the jigs, if the hook was attached to the bottom of the jig there is a good chance it would get bent during the fight, not that this doesn't happen anyway. It's working on the same principle as skirted lures.