Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: jigging

Re: jigging

ahhh what a post!!! thats a ripper george and just what i was chasing!
    the out fit i have chosen for now is just to get started... if the rod is no good i shall buy another if i get into it a bit more.

George
    Have you tried the braided loop support hooks? Just wondering how they stand up compared to the split rings.

Regards, Tony

What about the actual technique. Are you guys just furiously winding to the surface with pauses every now & then ? Or jig jig jig a bit then wind a bit ?? And do you bring it right up every time or half way then drop again ? Sorry for all the questions but I have never seen it done.

Hi All, good to see you all taking up jigging. Sure it can be hard work but with a few tips the results can be spectacular.
    I run a charter boat over here in the west and have been involved with the Japanese jigging experts for the last seven years. This style of fishing has been around since Adam was a boy, so I'm not doing anything new- just better.
    Jigging is more a thinking Fisho's way of fishing. No longer dropping bait over the side and waiting for the bite. For success look for the schooling fish or structure and attack it with a jig.
    Working a jig
    The jigs work best when you impart action into them. By this you are imitating a wounded bait fish ( lift of the rod and a crank of the reel-it is a coordination thing but it is not just winding like crazy) or squid(huge lift/strike on the rod and then let the jig flutter back)
    There are alot of methods so if you wish for more information send me a PM.
    The Gear
    Well I have nothing to do with any tackle shop, but all I can say is All Gear Fails I have had Saltiga 6000's explode, Rods snap, gearbox and spool failure in Shimano Trinidad's.
    My own outfit consists of a calstar, saltiga and PE8(80-100lb) line or a Japanese Smith Offshore stick with again a saltiga.
    The Japanese rods could be a new thread by themselves but to give you a idea, the smiths looks like a kids rod can work a jig to 500grm 37kg rated and can take 16kg of drag load pressure.
    This is starting to get a bit long winded for my first post so Keep up the interest
    All fish that eat fish as part of their diet will take a jig.
    The photo below had a first time jigger on a 50kg+(100lb+) fish on his first drop. Went on to catch 2 more in this size and a lot more in the 25-35kg range
    Tight lines
    Allan

some assist knots.......

and some more

shawn

G'day guys I'll back up what the other guys said about seeing Neil at Jones, He has been doing it for a few years now and knows his stuff.

This is how I've been rigging my jigs. Start with a piece of 250kg Dyneema 150mm long. The Dyneema can be brought from Jones for $6.25 for 2 meters or from Glass Craft for $1.40/meter.

shawn

The hooks are 6/0 Decoy Jigging Single Cutlass. Most normal hooks won't be strong enough for this style of fishing.

shawn

The knot.

shawn

Feed the Dyneema through the back of the hook, up around the main line to form a loop. Then feed it through the loop, it's more or less a granny knot.

shawn

Snug it up.

shawn

Tie a solid brass ring on the other end, with the same knot.

shawn

Melt the ends with a cigarette lighter to form a mushroom head on it. This is what stops the knot slipping when you are hooked up.

shawn

Then put the hook over something strong and place the hook off a jig that is already rigged, through the brass ring, and pull down as much as you dare. This will pull the knots tight and stretch the Dyneema as far as it will go.

shawn

Then attach a Red Sea 300lb split ring and another solid brass ring. The second brass ring is for the leader to be tied to.