Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: what have you found beach combing?

Re: what have you found beach combing?

This has been one of the best reads on af .Some of the stories are fascinating ,Thanks to all contributors.
    cheers Terry
    Cheers Tezza

We found a dolphin torch offshore from tassie that had all these things growing off it .... to best describe it, they looked like jointed asparagus shoots with a mouth that opened / snapped shut like a venus fly trap.

Also found part of a giant squid. It had been eaten by something.
    The piece we found was part of the body / tail - it was about a metre long, an inch thick and took two of us to lift it in the boat.

At a guess, I would say it would have been 5 - 6 metres long when it was whole.

Cheers

Pete

G'day
    Horeshoe bay. Few years ago I was camping solo. Cailed up to my fav little spot and there it was, a dead baby dolphin. would have been no bigger then 4'.
    Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

Far_Canal

glad i havent found any bodies. yet.

all we have ever come across is coconuts, birds, lumo sticks, computers, tv's

thats three dolphins torches that are still going strong

this has turned interesting.

i once found a cuttle fish bone washed up on DI, was about 500mm long and was bitten in half probly by a quite large shark by the shape of the bite. probly would have been about 1000-1100 mm long in total length so the actualy squid/cuttle fish would have been pretty big.

wish i found a bladder full of fuel

Ultralight mentioned:

Baby bottlenose:

Found my replacement Berley Bucket laying in the surf during a recent fishing comp. Didn't belong to anyone on the comp, so it now sits happy on the back of my boat. credited with 4 macks and 2 GT's to date.

Not bad for a stroll along the beach with a beer in hand.

must have the "beer in hand"
    Take photos and memories leave only footprints, respect the enviroment when 4 wheel driving , never be too busy to help out someone in need.

Fishingjew,
    Yep, they snap and snarl,and perform something terrible.
    Seems a shame, when all you are trying to do is help.
    David

I've found some interesting stuf on the beaches over the years, but one of the best finds I know of was my father casting an oversized Nilsmaster from the south wall at bruns for Jew. He lost the lure somehow and figured he'd go home about then.
    A mate of his named Rocky lobbed in that evening, he'd been fishing at the "local" reef just a couple miles nth of Bruns.
    He spoke about what fish they'd caught that morning, and then pulled out the Nilsmaster the old man had lost, mentioning it "just drifted by" as they fished. he knew dad used these lures and thought he'd give it to him, he had no idea though it was dad's right up until that morning.

Similarly I lost a shad rap off the bribie jetty messing around some years ago. The clip had sprung open.
    Some kids were throwing a net off the jetty for bait too. About an hour or more after I lost the lure, the tide changed, and soon after the kids pulled up their net and right there was the lure I lost a couple hours previous. It's taken a trip out the passage and come right back in to where it left!

cheers
    rob

Quote Originally Posted by Slider
    Baby bottlenose:

Thats so sad... such a beautiful animal... Thanks for sharing your pics / stories with us everyone!

Slient

Great thread Drew!

In 1990's at Fraser I found a big bottle 'sake' say 2 litres also label in Japanese language and coated few shell on bottle.

Kept it on the shelf for display then not long ago I had enough of it and tossed in the bin. Wish that I keep it today and get a photo to post...

Silent

Most of the things I've found have been pretty much covered by others, live sea snakes and mud crabs (all female), live leopard seal (died later up the sunshine coast way after being scared back into the water by the camera crew that just had to keep getting closer and closer to film it, plastic and glass floats, etc.

The only few things that I can think of not already mentioned was a football shaped glass bottle with a marble stopper, a $5 and $20 note on different occasions and a big timber framed fish trap about 12ft x 5ft x 2ft.

great read guys....on a return trip back down teewah once - we found an old landie on its side with the water lapping at the edge..........pulled up to find no one inside....looked up the beach and there were a couple huddled under a blanket - we checked to see if they were alright and boy did they stink of alcohol.......not sure what happened to them but they asked to let them be so i guess they were waiting for the tide to come in??........found countless shells down the mouth aswell linds, knives, glasses, sea snakes, cod etc etc.........even found a piece of surfboard/windsurfer that i swear had teeth marks through it......quite large too........anyways - very good read.....