Thread: The resident groper at Urangan Pier.

The resident groper at Urangan Pier.

Hi Guys,

Its been a few years since i have been to hervey bay, but i used to fish there quite a bit and remember seeing the big fella pop up once or twice.

Was wondering if he is still there, i heard that he may have been caught a year or 2 ago and i think he was released??

Just wondering if anyone had scene him lately.

Cheers

Dan

Re: The resident groper at Urangan Pier.

Yep he is still there, I watched him take a Mac Tuna that was about to be gaffed about two months ago.

An awesome sight, he looks huge.

Cheers
    James

Cheers James,

I remember him chasing other fish also, his definately a big thing.. I would be guestimating he was at least 5 foot long..

Not in the 5 foot size area but there is a perla of an estuary cod at Brunswick near the trawler basin that has spun out a few luderic fishermen

nabs12

I've got a friend who went over there for this week.. I got a call from him yesterday telling me he hooked a mac tuna that got eaten by a massive groper.. Guess its still there..

Cheers

Hell yes, that's what gives a fishing spot character.
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

This picture was taken last summer, that mackeral is over 60cm.
    Have got some good movies if anyone wants them.

Cheers,
    Ben

nice pic, the big fella obviously knows were to get an easy feed anyway

yeah, he got caught a couple of years ago and was released, took a while to revive him apparently, but obviously not too much the worse for wear.
    The other thing u gotta watch is the big GTs tryin ta steal ya school mackies as u bring em in, they get thier fair share

great to hear the ole boy's still kicken! must be a big bugger now.

cuzza

i have been lucky enough to see a pair of them hanging around there before. the local fishos would tie rope around the tails of some mack tuna and dangle them in the water for the gropers to eat. awesome sight and got some footage on the mobile phone but it doesent do justise to actually seeing thier size in person. i never forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_unit
    Yep he is still there, I watched him take a Mac Tuna that was about to be gaffed about two months ago.

An awesome sight, he looks huge.

Cheers
    James
    funny that becouse that happend to me last week, i hooked a nice mac- tuna jsut about to gaff it, and that huge groper took it off me

Quote Originally Posted by land-lubber
    yeah, he got caught a couple of years ago and was released, took a while to revive him apparently, but obviously not too much the worse for wear.
    in, they get thier fair share #

yer i heard that. I wasnt there at the time but grandad reckons he was out of the water for over an hour and was still able to be revived........ amazing.