Thread: Bohle river

Bohle river

I was reading an article on the internet not so long ago, and it said the world record barra was caught in the bohle river, North of Townsville. It weighed in at 20.850kg. Was caught on 8kg line.

Was amazed to hear bout it.
    Gilli

Most sports require one ball..... Fishing requires two

GO326Q
    4M tinnie with 25hp johnson
    Call ova for a chat if you see me out on the water

Re: Bohle river

Caught and released a 19kg 120cm barra caught on 6kg line in the bohle, march this year. #I've had much smaller fish put up more of a fight on heavier line.

P.S. they are 20L buckets in the picture. I know its a poor picture but I fractured my finger in two places a week before, so had trouble lifting the fish for a photo without hurting her, but of course not enough to stop me fishing .

nice fish m8. I caught a queen fish down the bohle and it put up more of a fight than most of the barra's. The queen fish was only 43cm's
    Gilli

GO326Q

Slient

Watch out for croc there...

Silent

Yeah I have been up and down that river so many times and i havent seen 1 croc...I always try out different spots up the creek and even at the mouth and mates have toldme that they have seen them but i havent seen 1 so far...
    Gilli

GO326Q

No doubt that there are crocs there, but there are practically domesticated. Following a few simple rules and you shouldn't have a problem.

Don't throw scraps in the water, particularly at the boat ramp (there was a dead pig at the bohle ramp at one stage)

Keep an eye for signs such as croc slides as this may indicate that there is a nest nearby, any female animal protecting its young can be nasty. I regularly walk through mangroves to throw the cast net so I keep an eye out.

If a croc approaches where your fishing and doesn't leave, you leave especially it it is longer than your boat.

Also remember that they ambush there prey at the waters edge, so take care approaching undisturbed water (especially around cattle yards).

But at the bohle its rare to see a croc (they are seen in winter more often when they are lethargic and sunning themselves), they usually know your there before you that they are there.

I've fished at shady camp in NT before and saw crocs all day and also while we were launching the boat.