Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: A Good Tailor Season....

Flash

Re: A Good Tailor Season....

Quote Originally Posted by Slider
    And I'm sure that I wouldn't want to eat the bream etc that I've seen sitting in their utes exposed to the sun for hours.
    I dunno, Linsay. When was the last time you even saw a fresh fish in a supermarket?
    They're feeding us that crap and we're (well, other people) are paying for it.

You got to go to Morgan's or somesuch to get a reasonable fish.

Have a look at the rubbish in Woolies and Coles, I wouldn't feed it to my cat.

Yeah Flash, I have seen the fish for sale in these places and I genuinely feel sympathy for people who can't get fresh fish elsewhere. As you say, Morgans product is generally pretty good as it doesn't come from the seine guys and I am always happy to eat in there.
    The beach seine guys here get away with it because the product isn't consumed by humans and cats wouldn't know the difference out of a can.

I had some farm prawns on the weekend which were just as good as any frozen wild prawn that I've had in recent years. Raises the question in my mind given the quality of fish on the shelf that is the norm now, whether the general public wouldn't be just as well off eating aquacultured fish. Certainly our wild fish stocks would be better off and I believe that there is the same quantity of omega 3 in farm fish as there is in wild fish.

With not being able to catch fish here at the moment for the sake of the cats and a few netters, I still wouldn't be buying fish irrespective of where it came from. Fortunately I have some reefies in the freezer and when they run out I'll eat lamb.

To Lindsay and everyone else who has posted here, thankyou. I have been reading this thread for the last couple of hours and have really been impressed with the knowledge and though that has gone into this. I havent been able to read the documents that you posted on this computer Lindsay but I have emailed them to myself at work so I can get into this a little more deeply. To Mike I would like to thank you as well for taking the time to respond to the topic at hand and to also congradulate you on the dpi's lastest break through with mud crabs. I read the caboolture paper the other day and was impressed with the leaps you have made in breeding them. Again thankyou to all who have contributed to the subject. I have really learnt alot and wish to learn a lot more.

Kel

bump

great read, and i share many points.

Back to the original question, so I thought I would reflect on my tailor season.

Usually starts around the first State of origin, or if the weather cools off earlier. I prefer the cold cold nights and head down to N/NSW to see what happens. The first is a week long trip, so gives us a chance to search around and see what comes up.

Wasnt a great start, got lots of big salmon some up to 6 kilo and lots of lost big tailor. Was using 16lb with a short 50lb leader, and lost more fish than i ever have. They were harder to find as the gutters werent as good as usual. Had to get onto the deeper gutters at dead low tide..

One particular afternoon found a nice hole and dead low tide, i was by myself and none in eyesight along the beach. Saw some big birds hitting it hard and cast away, lost the rig every cast except for 2 big salmon. I didnt take any wire and paid the price for it. Didnt land one tailor in 4 days fishing... Never before #, i have never been hit by freight trains like it before either, especially so early in the season.

Next month over to Moreton Island to hit them again for week got bad conditions and once again the gutters were shot, had to search again on dead low but no tailor again for 4 days fishing..

So far in my day trips i have only a few tailor and nothing to right home about, which is the worst year since i started fishing for them in about 18 years..

Me and my pop have discussed this year in depth, my theory the regular beaches we hit just didnt have the gutters at the time we were there to hold fish.

I personally think gutters are the secret to a good year or not, down south i regularly saw the big birds feeding, there was just no good gutters to hold them at the times we were there.

Cheers

Dan

just thought i'd bring this up the front
    bit of tailor talk lately