Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jarvis Walker

Re: Jarvis Walker

Jarvis Walker are an Australian Company, a importer annd distributor of fishing tackle. Penn are an American reel manufacturer with a very good product and a very good name.
    Jarvis Walker are not the same company, they, Jarvis Walker are the Penn agent in Australia.
    Someone has to import and handle the lower grade of tackle, which goes out to the Shops as cheap outfits at the bottonm of the quality and price range.
    There are other brands equally as low grade as the bottom end of JW's stuff, and there are other brands that will cost you thousands.
    If you buy in the 40/50 buck range, you get what you are paying for and your view of quality must be through foggy glasses.
    Cheers MaxG.

Jarvis walker in my opinion speak for themselves TOTALLY CRAP! and the people who are talking about teh cheaper reliable shimano range are definately on the money you also pose a good point about the berkley im6 graphite composite rods

Quote Originally Posted by breamnut View Post
    javis walker and penn are the same company.
    javis walker are a piece of plastic crap while penn are pritty good in the more expensive reels.
    myself i use daiwa or shimano reels.
    a good but cheap rod are the burkley dropshot im6 graphite rods.
    for under $100 i dont think you can get much better
    No They're not... JW import Penn, They are the Aus distributers for Penn thats all.
    Oh didnt see that Maxg, you allready said it.
    ________
    HOTELS IN MEXICO

I've had a Jarvis Walker rod for years and couldn't be happier with it. I originally bought it at a Big W sale for $10 (rod & reel combo). It was apparently water damaged, but I couldn't find anything wrong with it. The reel was rubbish, but what do you expect for the price? On the other hand, the rod, a 7ft 2 piece 4-6kg unit has caught many fish. I matched it up with a few different reels and away I went. Years later it is still going strong despite use and abuse. It's a stress-free rod. I have never been worried about breaking it, or banging it into things, unlike my more expensive graphite rods. All up I would recommend it to anyone.
    Cheers
    Craig aka BBB

JW of old crap.Bigboss bloody good value.Try one and revise your opinion.Now there's a challenge.
    Cheers all
    Reidy

I think Jarvis walker reels are exceptionally good..........good to see how long it takes for them to sink to the bottom of the sea....

I feel poll comeing on!!!

Its simple maths really mate. Do you want to spend approx $50 every 6-12 months on cheap, crappy outfits.
    Conversely spend a few hundred on a high quality outfit and (if you look after it) it will perform and last for years. As such it has paid for itself in a couple of years. Furthermore I bet that you will enjoy using it a lot more, be less frustrated and consequently, enjoy your fishing a lot more using quality outfits

I don't know as I only have one Jarvis Walker rod and I thought I might rebuild it.
    When I pulled it all apart a sticker fell out.
    It was a Hastings sticker so either someone shoved a Hasting's sticker up the guts of the Jarvis Walker rod or it was build on a Hastings blank (the sticker matched up the specs on the rod as well).
    The rod is 'elderly' though.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by jpart10 View Post
    Hi Anglers

Does any one no if you can buy good Jarvis Walker reels and rods?
    Because I have bought several before and i think there completely crap.
    Can you buy decent Jarvis Walkers and what is the price range.
    Once my mate bought a Jarvis Walker in ##### allsport and he went to oil it before use and it was rusted in the gears.
    Cheers
    Jpart10
    javis walker is cheap gear and it wont last.
    its crap

I have a JW 10'general purpose reel that I use for fishing light bait fishing off the rocks and breakwall. Its caught a fair few bream and others but the guides fell apart quite quickly. Had new Fuji guides put on for $30.

Why do I continue to fish with this rod? Well, I like the action (although it seems to be the individual blank as other new 10 footers that I've had my hands on in the shop seem different) and it catches fish.

It's teamed with a Diawa Exceler 4000 which I reckon is about the best egg beater for the price so the whole combo isn't a cheapy.

Use what works and what you feel comfortable with.

Best regards, Rob.
    Ballina

I don't beleive in spending a fortune on rods, and I am quite happy to fish with a cheapy if it feels good, it's usually the guides trhat let you down...reels, are a whole different kettle of fish though. I would spend more on a reel any day.....even if it was like $150 reel and $50 rod.....the dearer a rod gets the easier it is to break!!!