Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mooloolaba reefs plastic and bait help anyone?

Re: Mooloolaba reefs plastic and bait help anyone?

A little bit of poppers on the dam in the no go area sat. late (1 miss and a follow, should have changed to divers but I'm still looking for my first 'toga in Brisbane) and tested a kayak on sunday and decided to give it a decent home. Guess there will be some sneaking up on fish to be added to the options, all I have to do now is convince you to do the same thing and we can hack our smoke blackened lungs out in unison.

BrandonH

Sorry i didn't see this post till now and realize you have already been but he's what i would try!

The inshore can really produce at this time of year and i have caught some very good fish on the shallow reefs of the sunshine coast, my favorites being Raper shoals, coolum and sunshine reefs. 2 things i find very important on these reefs are the time and being quite and away from other boats. The times that seem to produce for me a early morning and dusk to early evening with dawn being my prefered option. when i say dawn i mean fishing at dawn so you want to leave the ramp about 1.5 hours before and find your area anchor on it and have been burling for about 30-40 minutes before the sun shows up And just float back your chosen baits in the trail,by about 7.30 am its time to pack the bait rigs away and start on the plastics.

For the plastics i like to consentrate on rubble areas right next to the reefs. and work these areas on slow drifts with the aide of a droug or para anchor. I wouldn't be tempted to put a plastic on a pananoster as it's not going to be all that effective better to fish with bait on a floater rig then plastics in the normal fashion. Like in the bay when you find the bait youll find the fish so work the bait schools and the results will come.

Hope that helps next time

Ian

Ps. try and get your mate to the ramp before dawn even if you sleep there as fishing during the day while nice and easy doesn't produce a good feed on the shallow area's
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Thanks for that info Ian!! I will use it for next time I get up there I have also heard good things of Raper shoals, might have to talk him into having a fish there one of these days. I didn't drop a bait to the bottom all day, only ever had one floating pillie out the back and a few different plastics bouncing accros the bottom (one at a time), or near the bottom at times. My mate had a bait on the bottom that got hit maybe 3 times and a floater after I caught my second fish on mine I must admit he wasn't too happy with me getting all the fish again so may not get another trip with him!!!! Lol.

We were planing on staying over night and doing the dusk and dawn sessions but the weather got the better of the skipper so we came back in.. I can't blame him too much he is in his sixties and not keen to get bounced around much these days #Still I am happy I got my biggest Schoolie, my biggest mac tuna and my first Cobia [smiley=laola.gif] Catching it on plastic makes it soooo much better too

Cheers N
    Tight Lines

Brandon...