Thread: 2 radios for offshore?

2 radios for offshore?

Just curious if anyone uses 27 meg offshore. I have recently replaced my 27meg with vhf with the intention of doing more offshore trips. Most of my offshore trips are on other peoples boats. I have a faulty ariel on the old 27 meg and removed it from the boat. A new ariel and it will be right to go, but is it worth it? All the trips I do in other people's boats, I have never seen anyone using 27 meg.

Should I buy an ariel and reinstall it, or not bother.

Cheech

Fat_Chilli

Re: 2 radios for offshore?

As a back up to your VHF, I would spend the few extra $ on a new antenna for the set you already have, just for piece of mind. It's better than no back up at all

I thoughts are this on 27 meg, not as good for getting distance as the vhf, vhf is clearer and the way to go
    but
    remember the bad old days of cb's, which uses the 27meg range. I have boxes full of postcards etc from around the world using the old cb as a comunication device to make contact, commonly known as skip. Well the vhf wont do this
    so
    if my butt was in peril I have one in my boat and I would hope that somewhere, someone would hear it and respond and help save my sorry butt.
    Cant have too many safety devices offshore.
    cheers
    blaze
    ps
    spend the $70 odd dollars

Hi

I have both. That means one ariel on each side of the boat, so it doesn't pull to one side or the other.

Whichway

So it looks like I will reinstall the 27 then.

Part 2,,,,, I had not used it for a while, and the squelch button was seized and I broke it off yesterday trying to loosen it. As the squelch was already set from the last time I used it, what are the chances that it will remain close enough to be able to use it? Otherwise I will try to pull it all apart to see if I can get something working.

Whichway, I was thinking of mounting them on the same side so that I have clean access to one side of the boat when the arials are down. Do they interfere with each other if set up in close proximity? Was thinking of setting them up about 300mm apart.

Cheech

marlinqld

I have both my aeriels near each other. One on each side of the console, about 900 apart.

Doesnt seem to effect either radio.

Mike

redspeckle

I have my 2 Aerials opposite each other front cabin side of the boat
    Yes it is good to have 2nd radio just in case or want talk to their people out their
    Mitch
    Ps Thanks for the Bourbon tasted good

We used to use a UHF and an AM/FM cb back in the day (about 10-15 years ago) because the UHF had a lot of trouble when operating inside Moreton Bay because the islands would kill the signal (UHF is line of sight). I suppose things would have improved a lot these days. No idea why i posted this really, just raving on.

The 27 meg comes in handy if you are out fishing with another boat as you can have contact without the rest of the world knowing where you are. Just pick a station that isn't in use and go for it. When out at the Hards you can hear everyone on their VHF but the 27 meg is almost always silent.

Fat_Chilli

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech
    Part 2,,,,, I had not used it for a while, and the squelch button was seized and I broke it off yesterday trying to loosen it. As the squelch was already set from the last time I used it, what are the chances that it will remain close enough to be able to use it? Otherwise I will try to pull it all apart to see if I can get something working.

Cheech
    Personally, I would have a crack at pulling it apart, or sending it away to be repaired, as I would feel a dam site more comfortable knowing that the set was fully functional. Squelch needs to be adjustable depending on signal strength, interferences etc. It should not be set and forget, but it generally is, as it is generally used when operating close to shore or boat to boat but if you are also using it as an emergency back up to your VHF then I would want the squelch to work so I could tune in and hear any weak transmissions. (clause: I'm no expert, so I may be wrong? seek professional advise )

Cheers.