Thread: prawnstars

prawnstars

i have always wondered about prawnstars and i was flicking through bush n beach fishing magazine when i saw a nice rock or estuary cod with a prawnstar hanging out of its mouth and was wondering how to rig them do u rig them with a jighead or weightless and how do u rig them like normal plastics or differently? and also how do u use them do u give them a jerky retrieve or let them glide to the bottom or twitches any help would be appreciated
    good fishing Plasticking700

Re: prawnstars

I have found them a bit of a pain to rig up especially the little ones coz you have to pass your line through the little hole in its head then through the eye of the front treble then tie it off to the rear treble. Even when I remove the front treble there is little room for my fat fingers to tie off the rear one due to the little plastic prawn legs sticking up.

Having said that though they are deadly on flathead and you don't have to do much to get them interested. Just a gentle lift every now and then on the retrieve. You have to put those trebles into harms way to get jacks out unfortunately and I have donated a few of them to my favourite snags.

I liked the little honey pot colour but way up north I hear they like the outragious pink colour.

gogecko

The way to rig them is printed on the back of the pack. Its easy enough if your eyesight is OK, mine isnt .

They work good with a slow twitchy retrieve. Ive just started using them as my main lure, after a season on gulps (still use gulps as well). Last session I caught 3 estuary cods, 2 moses perch and 1 bream in about 3 hrs. Used the natrual color prawnstar in med size. Session before I got a 60cm flathead.

cheers
    Andrew

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by candogu
    But beware It's one of the poorest designed websites I've come across........gold text on similar backgrounds and the crappiest of fonts, leave it almost impossible to read in places. You would think that a company like this which has such a successful product could come up with something better

kev

PS........I'm a Pomm...just gotta have a whinge now and again

yep,,, it's a bit on the crapie side ..... but if you high light the text with your mouse it's readable,,,,, unlike most of my post

The prawn stars are still a reasonably popular lure, not as much as they were 3 years ago, but still have a fair following. The most popular color by far is the honey pot in junior and shrimp sizes. So much so that I now only stock the honey pot color. They work well on quite a few species. They come with weights already fitted,but there are a few other rigging options recommended using ball sinkers. It can be near impossible to get them to do the tail flick as they are, when they come out of the packet, but I have been told by a few blokes who use them, that they get a hot knife and remove a bit more plastic from the tail joint , giving them a slightly better action. They are apparently great for king salmon when used unweighted and skipped across the surface. I have only caught a few flathead and one jack on them myself, but I havn't put in a lot of time with them either.
    A good Aussie product and well worth a try.

Regards.....Tony

I haven't spent much time using them myself but on my first cast about a week ago i landed a healthy little flathead. I was using a twitching motion with quite a slow retrieve. I might have to try removing some of the plastic as suggested in another post on this thread.

I am going to try them in a few weeks time when i get back from a holiday on a surf beach to see if i can get any larger flathead interested. I guess like any lure, the more time you put into usage, the more chance you will have of landing something decent.

Actually Tony the hot knife thing reminded me of another trick I used to get more tail flick in them. Put them in a coffee cup and boil the jug and pour in boiling water. Only leave em for a minute or so an they they come out real floppy but don't seem to harden to how they were before so have a bit more action coz they are softer.

Quote Originally Posted by themooks
    Actually Tony the hot knife thing reminded me of another trick I used to get more tail flick in them. #Put them in a coffee cup and boil the jug and pour in boiling water.
    Top tip mate. I think I'll give that a go.

Richie