Thread: Clueless about crabbing

Clueless about crabbing

Now I am in Agnes and it seems determined to be blowing a gale more often than not I would like to try crabbing. Hint as I might to the people I know here nobody seems interested in going fishing with us. One person we got to know left town without even saying goodbye. Apparently we have the plague.

So I am trying to get any advice I can on good tides, moon phases, water depth etc so we can teach ourselves how to catch a feed of muddies when its too windy to go outside in our little tub of a boat. We have lots of bait in the freezer ready to go.

I have the thumbs up from the financial officer to buy two crab pots next pay day. Will two do us to start with or do we need five or so to get the odds we need?

If there's already a string about this could somebody point me to it please?

Thanks guys

Re: Clueless about crabbing

mate I'm not sure of what the regs are in Qld ,better check first, but in NSW it is only one cab trap per person so be careful of how many traps you buy
    Rainbow Trout is NOT skittle flavoured fish.........

also you could do a search on here using the search word crab bait
    Rainbow Trout is NOT skittle flavoured fish.........

Mooks
    Call in mate!! I don't have a lot of spare time to go with you, (we must be able to arrange a trip or 2 though) but I can point you in the right direction for the crabs etc. The coming months are good ones normally for crabs, so with a small amount of info you should be able to get enough to get you by until the prawns start in late january
    There is also a lot of jacks on the chew at the moment, when you know where to go (they keep you busy while waiting for the crabs)
    There is a couple of land based options for jacks and crabs as well as by boat.
    Come in and pick my brain!!! from a distance.......I didn't know you had the plague!!

Tony

Now is the time for these fella's Mooks

There are quite a few around

Night time is best

We often don't bother with crab pots, the crabs often grab baits for the jacks. Pull em in slowly and slip the net under them....Bobs your uncle

Crab entree and jack main course.

bloody hell agnes_jack,is there anymore up there or are they in your belly, great hall of jacks there, your a lucky man well done.
    If i could get paid the same to fish, sorry boss but i ......!

some great fish agnes_jack

Bludog

Plenty more where they come from Geoff.
    We never keep more than 2 per trip for eating. We have caught up to 24 in one night of varying sizes, and it's not uncommon to get 6-10 in a session.

Regards, Tony

some great fish agnes_jack

Bludog

Tony
    Those pics remind me of my fishing days in Townsville when i was a kid growing up.

Cheers Dazza

Orright Tony, I'll come in soon and pick ya brains.

Not sure if I want to go jack fishing up here though. By the looks of all those photos you end up looking bloody miserable!!!