Thread: Sinker Making

Sinker Making

Once you have poured the lead into the moulds how long do you wait before taking the sinkers out.
    Any more tips would be appreciated.
    Troy

Re: Sinker Making

Haven't done any sinkers but have worked with metals and casting for 20 years and I might be going out on a limb here, but when it's cold to touch would be a safe bet

Hi,
    With the snapper moulds that I have been using, I just open them up virtually straight away and the moulds are fully formed, that way the mould stays hot and you can keep making themaw65

I normaly get em out within 10 - 20 seconds of pouring.. You need to keep the mold hot for the next pour...

Luke_Groen

Yea when we make ours we leave them for 5 seconds. Keep the moulds warm but not too hot! And don't forget your ppe

Thanks
    Troy

CHRIS_aka_GWH

i use a cast iron saucepan with a pourin lip and its lid on a 2 burner stove - a set of clamp jaw pliers and riggers gloves of course with two sets oof moulds on a twin burner stove.

On one burner is the pot with the melting lead, on the other the upturned lid on a low heat with the moulds staying warm. Pour into the mould on the lid - take it off the lid tap it with a hammer, pull the stainless wire out - open the pliers into tin of water.

That mould goes back on the lid - clamp the other together and keep going ...

When I'm rolling I can produce a mould full every 45 secs for the bigger sinkers every 90 secs or so for the smaller ones because of the multilpe wires. The upturned lid is good at catching any spillage

oh yeah - another set of pliers to remove the flash