Thread: Gummy Shark

Gummy Shark

I've just got my boat; a 4.7m Quintrex reefmaster and will do most of my fishing in Port Philip or Westernport in Victoria. Just wondering if there is anything special you need to do with gummy sharks to prepare them for eating. I know with some fish you should gut and bleed them straight away. Anything special with gummy?

Re: Gummy Shark

hi mate , congrats on getting the rig
    some people soak the meat in milk , have also heard flour n water mix , as some shark species have an amonia taste .
    tightlines

gummys don't have the ammonia smell like bronzies do, i don't think you need to do anythink special to em. they taste great...

Once in the boat, Cut the back of the head to severe the main artery, remove tail and then gut,whilst gutting remove the head. Do this straight away. To prepare for the table, I fillet the same as any fish and then either fillet off the skin the fillet sizes you want or just skin and then cut into the size required for cooking. Coat the fillet in a thin layer of batter of choice and deep fry.
    cheers
    blaze

Thanks all. I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers.

Same deal with every shark you catch, remove head, tail, fins and gut before it dies.