Thread: Fish Id Plz...

Fish Id Plz...

Hey all. this is an pic from last year, Was caught on bait fishing under the highway bridge in the pine. At the time we thought it was a little grunter. Now looking at it i'm not so sure, maybe its a different sort of grunter ( I know there are at least 2 types). I have caught one about 20cms before and it didn't have as defined markings or have the yellow ting through it.

Anyways thought i would post it here and see what my fellow Ausfihsers think about it

PS: being such a little tacker (about 15cms!!) it was released #

Cheers
    Brandon...

Re: Fish Id Plz...

I think it is definantly some type of grunter because of the body shape although I have never seen one with such distinct markings

Scotty

marlinqld

yep its most definitely a fish......................

Banded Scat? (edumacated guess)

Mike

BANDED GRUNTER / BARRED GRUNTER Amniataba percoides

http://sweetwaterfishing.com.au/species.htm

hope this helps

dan..

umm not too sure about that Dan. The pic on your link is of the freshwater grunter, this was caught in salt but I guess they might come down into the salt sometimes?? It is a little far south for them too unless it came from north pine but the isn't meant to be any grunter in there yet either.

Thanks for the replies so far guys I am 99% sure it’s a Grunter/Javelin fish of some species but I am thinking its one that isn't so common. Or its just the juvenile markings that’s throwing me off

Cheers
    Brandon...

a lot of the aussie freshwater fish do move quite a way through the brackish and into the salt!! i have caught a lot of bony bream in my castnet even as far as dohles rocks!! they are a freshwater fish too!

since my original post ive done more research and i tend to agree with you that it is the normal grunter!! not the banded variety like i sugested!! juveniles have the heavier bands and they disappear as they grow!!

cheers

Dan..

as far as banded grunter not being this far south!!!

http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/thre...ed_grunter.htm

Dan..

True, but I am 99% sure North Pine didn't get accidentally stocked with them, Hinz and Wivenhoe have them but I really can't see them swimming into the bay then back into a different river system ???

I guess it might be but it would be the first i have heard of being caught in the salt around Brisbane.

Cheers
    Brandon...

Saddle Javelin ???,,
    Where is Gone_phishing?
    He is a master of catching them, But thats here in the burnett.
    Seems to be a long way from home

Have a look at this thread,Might just Help..

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB...49498258/13#13

Sweet thanks Seajay!!! thats it alright
    Your right about the location But I guess with Barra at Noosa and Trippletail around Brisbane its just a matter of time before more of these tropical fish head down this way...

Cheers
    Brandon...