Thread: Wind and the Bay

Wind and the Bay

As a newbie on the bay I was wondering what the recommendations were for predicting good conditions verses bad conditions. I have only made one trip across the bay and the wind was predicted to be between 5-10 knots which was fairly safe but this Saturday the wind is predicted to be above 15 knots. Will it be too rough? I only have a trailcraft 465 profish which is not the biggest boat for the bay. Also, does the wind direction factor into the equation.

cheers
    Ray

Re: Wind and the Bay

might be a bit rough, we normally go in a 10-15 forecast

Remember, that forecasts have a factor of error of 40% for wind strength. a 15 kt forecast can see gusts to 22kts(and more in my experience) on that basis.
    Still not survival conditions but rough enough.
    The real problem is whether your forecast wind is opposing the tide. Thats when the bay gets a bit willing.
    stay safe
    Cheers
    rando

Ray, the bay is a big area, may need to clarify where you wanna play

Cape OR Bananna Bank, all the bay.

Check out seabreeze graphs for all the Brisbane areas and check out the differences in wind strength.

cheers

Steven
    Cheers

Steven

At the moment I am lunching from the northern ramps like Contarf / Spinnacker sound etc so I am primarily looking to travel in the northern part of the bay from the 4 beacons up although a trip to Mud and Peel is also on the cards.

I regularly look at the SeaBreeze website and that is what had me thinking what sort or generic rules apply to the bay. A realise this is a very general type question but thought I would ask anyway.

Pitsta

Pretty open up there .. 15nts Max !!!

Mark