Thread: Catching Bait

Catching Bait

Hey
    Just new to the game.
    *whats the easiest bait to catch?
    *how do you catch it ?
    *is eel or rays good for anything but sharks?

I've had a run at prawns, but looking for more options
    I'm not specifically targeting any species, just thought i'd reduce my pilly budget

cheers

Shitty_Master

Re:  Catching Bait

The easiest bait to catch is probably herring, all you have to do is burley up using pellets/wheetbix, bran/ pollard and let the fish come to you.

If they on the surface all you need is a float line and a little piece of squid and you should get a few.

If you burley up really well you can catch them in a net.

What bait ?

Well that probably depends on your target fish species.

You say you want to reduce your pillie budget. Several things to do there, buy pillies in the carton ( 8 blocks ) or a 15kg IQF box then seperate them in the amount you need for each trip.

The alternative baits to pillies, I would say , is Yakka ( yellowtail ) or Slimies. These would need to be jigged on offshore locations such as reefs, hard ground, wrecks and coffee rock areas.

Certainly Herring can be obtained from landbased areas like jettys, pontoons etc using either a cast net or bait jig.

Gar cannot be taken out of the equation either, and these good baits ( and eating fish ) can be caught in shallow water around weed banks in estuary systems. Around rock walls you can also jig up Pike, trevally and assorted baitfish species.

I personally spend a whole day, every now and again, just collecting biat. Very rewarding and the freezer has always a stock should I get the urge to hit the water.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Herring are good inshore bait but they don't last too long as livies. Poddy mullet are a much hardier live bait, they can last for hours in the tub or on the hook.

To burley up I mix some chook pellets with tuna oil, the fish love it. And while you are getting more bait, have a livie floating around for the larger specimens that turn up.

Brett

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line

Re: #Catching Bait

As Lucky Phil said, it really does depend on what you're targetting. #I personally don't do a great deal of bait fishing these days, but I do occasionally live bait, and I have certain areas where I know I can catch pike or herring, and a live bait bag to transport them in. #These fish, live or dead, will catch you anything from big bream on the herring right up to all sorts of monsters with bigger pike. #You just have to be responsible with how many you take.
    Joel

p.s. I catch the herring on a bait jig, and the pike on small soft plastics. I've used stingray as burley but not as bait.
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

Hi

If you've got a lot of time up your sleeve you might want to have a crack at beach worming.
    It's great fun, a bit challenging, and when you become proficient at it, it can save you heaps.
    I think there are DVD's on the market showing you how to worm in you're intrested

Good luck

rockfisho

Thanks guys
    muchos appreciated

hey fishos

can u live bait fish with a float? does it work as good?
    just wandering

cam
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

Use a float if you want to keep the bait in a certain level in the water column. Unwaited seems to work fine for smaller livies though.

Brett

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line