Thread: brisbane river shark locations

brisbane river shark locations

g'day all.
    After reading all the good info on shark fishing on the site i finally got the right kind of gear to have a go at a few. Am land-based and will going at late afternoon/night. I was wondering if anyone could suggest any reliable areas around the indooroopilly stretch or the breakfast creek area. Also if any live bait could be cast netted around these areas. Any advice would be greatly appreitated.

bballfisho

Re: brisbane river shark locations

mate, try simpson park on the jetty at gracevilleb. Cast net for live bait or use mullet. Cast line in the main channel. Usually peak high tide or low. Bring a few crab pots too. Your bound to catch a big buck.

Another good place is under the story bridge. bbbbgggggggggggggggggggg

there are sharks to be caught in the main chanel out from the mouth of breekie creek. i have seen a few caught there. the only problem is getting your bait out into the deep channel and making it stay there. the only advice i can give you (but im not sure if it will work) is to try floating your bait out under a baloon on the out going tide. just drop your bait at the mouth of breekie and hopefully it will float out into the main channel. when it gets there just pull the balloon off and it will sink to the bottom. make sure u use enough weight to keep it on the bottom. another problem is the pike eel popultion here. they tend to eat your bait and ruin your leaders.

the best place i have found for sharks is at the mouth of the brissie river. i have caught alot hear with the average size about 5 foot. i use the same technique as above and it works well. i have also found that live bream or tailor are a very consistent bait for sharks. the bigger the livy the better the chance. we usually use livies that are about 30cm and nothing smaller that 15cm.

best of luck and let us know how u go.

cheers mlc.

one of my mates who i go sharkin with said any were in the river as long as its reasonably deep try the balloon technigue. tie a snap swivel to your mainline and then clip your sinker and cable to that. use tailor and mullet and if u can get bonito or rocket tuna they go off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for all the info fellas. i had a go today and this is how it went.
    only had 2 hours to spare this arvo from 3-5 and went down to that little pontoon underneath the walter taylor bridge. i put a set line out with a slab of mullet on fours gangs and also had a couple of smaller rods to mess around with catfish and the like.

after we baited up wioth strips of mullet and after 5 minutes we pulled a little 15cm cattie and then 10 minutes later i hooked a stream train of a fish in about 1.5 m of water very close to the mangroves. it took out 25 meters of 12lb mono and headed for the middle of the river. it then JUMPED out of the water and i could tell that it was defenity a shark of about 2+ foot long. i only had a running sinker and hook tied straight to the mainline so it quickly busted me off leave some very frayed and rough line. . i was not happy but i realised that i had caught it on a tiny little peice of mullet on a whiting hook with no trace..so i didnt really have a chance. theres always next time i spose.

20minutes later i hooked a very odd looking eel about 2 foot long with no teeth and a head like a catfish. anyone go anyideas wat it is or is it just a common eel.?????

the mullet slab didnt get a touch at all and i was surprised to see that a shark was caught right in the mangroves and in such shallow water.

all in all thnks for your your help fellas and the river doesnt seem so crappy anymore

connor

trie whole mullet from 3 inches to 6 inches on 60 pound couted shogun wire.
    the best time is at night on the last hour of the run in and on the bottom of the tide

The Brisbane river from from Colleges Crossing down has always been full of sharks. Many threads and stories in all the magazines have been written.

We were catching them back in the fifties and sixties, when a few illegal fishers with the that stick bait blew up their boat fishing for them.

Also the Bremer a fair way up, wouldnt be very keen on consuming them nowadays due to water quality though.

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

That would have been an 'eel tailed catfish', no I'm not joking.

I have seen smallsharks chase bait fish and beach themselves at my feet while castnetting for livies. Had to change my pants!! Luckily I still have both feet andall my toes. Have heard of some BIG sharks caught in shallow water,they herd the bait in and attack.

There have been Tiger sharks caught in the brissie river over the last few years. Saw photos of a juvenile caught at the port of brisbane.

Brett

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line