Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you despatch a catfish ?

Re: How do you despatch a catfish ?

I know I love eating the fresh eel tailed catfish, must be a good size though...Lovely done slow in butter..
    I tried the fork tails a few years ago, as I had read they were just as nice but was very disappointed.
    I do like hooking them though because really you don't know what you have on there at times till you see it....and boy can they put up a fight at times.
    After all isn't fishing to do with the sport also...Adrenalan...you can't beat it

lash em to the side of the boat and take em to the edge of the reef and feed em to the tiger sharks...... Err........ don't tell the press!

BigE

I voted for release unharmed, but might also like to try them as crab bait if I catch one.

Should have put that option up there for the poll might get different results

gogecko

Yes i didnt think of crab bait, but Ive added it now, it seems to have 4 or 5 mentions. I dont think they can vote twice tho? Probably a bit late.

Andrew

When I was young used to smash them over the head with a donger, then let'em go,(be honest with yourself who didn't) but now just grab them in the mouth and pull the hook or use a hook remover!

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

I take what I want for crab bait and let the others go. Got spiked in the middle finger in February this year and it is still tender and larger than normal. There's no part of the spike left in there, just damage from the infliction.

It always amuses me hearing people say they won't eat this and they won't eat that because of them being scroungers or whatever. Generally those same people will drool at the mouth over a muddie. And what do muddies eat.............????

Cheers

Dave

Adding to the comment about a good fight i agree when they are at the 50cm and above mark on 6lb gear its a bloody great fight.

gogecko

This one weighed 3.5 kg and put up a great fight on heavy gear. I had a 5ft ugly stik rated 10-15kg, and 15kg braid with the drag locked up tight. He still took 5 mins to land. I did nt measure him cos Im concerned about spikes, but he was easy 60 cm.

I just spiked him thru the head cos I thought it was the right thing to do. I dont use crab pots, and I wouldnt want him taking my mullet flesh again when Im hunting for jacks, and I thought other fishos wouldnt want him stealing bait either. At least I can admit it when Im wro....omsuyzouisdycbse, as Fonzie says.

Andrew

Well Gecko, you're not wrong about some of them being fun on light gear. I had one nearly spool me on 8lb gear near the Brisbane River mouth. Finally got the pig in and almost burst into tears when I saw it was a cattie. The bait thief in question was about 70-75cm long and weighed a few pounds. Spike....plop....gone.
    I remember a few years ago going to a lecture (I can't remember if it was one of the Jones Tackle ones) and having some one from DPI-Fisheries tell me they didnt get more than 60cm long. Think he was thinking of prawns maybe.
    If you think our catfish get big what about the ones in the Missouri-Mississippi in the US? Damn things can get to the size of a Datsun!

Quote Originally Posted by Canoedle
    they don't belong there as they are a saltwater species .

Edit: Just wanted to add that if I catch Fork tails in the salt water, where they belong, I let them go unharmed. #
    Not sure about that! Plenty of them in the Burnett river along its whole lentgh, impounded and not impounded waters.

Link, is this the one you guys are chatting about???? http://fishbase.mnhn.fr/Summary/Spec...y.php?id=22590

Never grab em from behind, grab em from the front, hand across the head, the spines cannot get you there. And if they are too big you use 2 hands. This method makes em easy to handle, you get all your gear back and they go back unharmed!

Cheers zedjack33

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

I find that strange Zedjack. Grab them from the front?? The fish has bloody great spikes out of each pectoral fin as well. Are you relying on them lying still?? And as for using two hands, what do you then use to take out the hook? Sorry mate, but I've seen a damn lot of catties caught and a few blokes spiked, and seen the pain they go through. Why would you risk using your hands.

Someone on this thread mentioned using leather gloves. Ever seen them go through a heavy duty rubber sole boot? Ask around fellas, some of you would be amazed!

Dave

finga64

We used to dong them for the crab pots. But now....any over about 35cm......
    We eat them....yumm
    No wonder they're called the Logan river whiting
    PS remember to skin first though otherwise.... yuck

Eel tailed catfish are not bad eating.

Have no idea about Forked tailed catfish.

Would wonder why anyone would kill a fish simply because it's not good enough for the table, except of course european carp.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Far_Canal

Quote Originally Posted by the gecko
    I had a 5ft ugly stik rated 10-15kg, and 15kg braid with the drag locked up tight. He still took 5 mins to land
    what were you chasing with that setup ? Bull sharks or something

on a quiet day I just enjoy the extra hookup