Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you despatch a catfish ?

Re: How do you despatch a catfish ?

Quote Originally Posted by supertinny
    I have been spiked a couple of times and have found that rubbing the spiked area on the catties stomch stops any pain and swelling. Might just be a placebo effect but it works for me.
    Own up tinny...you were actually punching the living crap out of a cattie and you forgot about the pain from the spikin'. It just happens the stomach is the only spot without a spike

im with canodle here, if im at wivenhoe, the forkies get a nice big rock on the noggin and are pelican food. The rangers seem to be happy for ppl to do it as long as they dont leave a stinking mess behind

I voted for spiking them and throwing them back

When I throw them back they are allways surrounded by a net and steel as they are great crab pot bait
    Cheers

Steven

I release alive mostly by cutting the line.
    It depends on how they're hooked.
    I have eaten them and they are not bad at all.
    I challenge anyone to identify it by taste amid other fish if it is prepared correctly.
    Would still be eating them too if my hand didn't start to throb every time I hook one :-)

JT

They have as much right as any other fish to be in the water. Why kill them just for the sake of killing them. Whats next - spearing and eating wobbegongs .

Far_Canal

release them alive.

they are like the garbage trucks of the rivers, the environment needs them.

I have never caught one but if and when I di I will be cutting the line and releasing as I don't believe in killing anything just because I can
    Rainbow Trout is NOT skittle flavoured fish.........

agreed i use my long nose to release them

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonH
    If I was to cut off every catfish I hook my long nosed pliers would never get used!!!! not to mention re-tying leaders cause of cutting hooks off all the time

each to there own though, It has been quite a few years since I have been done by a catty, that wasn't from one on-line either it was one in a bloody castnet >

Cheers
    Brandon...

agree i would do the same and have

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonH
    If I was to cut off every catfish I hook my long nosed pliers would never get used!!!! not to mention re-tying leaders cause of cutting hooks off all the time

each to there own though, It has been quite a few years since I have been done by a catty, that wasn't from one on-line either it was one in a bloody castnet >

Cheers
    Brandon...

sorry sent twice
    did not want to go through the first time

gogecko

Thx for the feedback guys. I didnt think people would be so loving towards vermin, but live and let live does seem to be the general consensus of opinion. I'll just cut the line near the hook from now on. Same for pike eels.

Andrew

use them for crab bait

cheers davo

Just let them be, as has been said they serve a purpose in the system, although it does seem they are in plague proportions nowdays.

If it was the only fiish left to catch (looking that way) then I would rather eat catfish then eat imported bloody basa ! >
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

Andrew, I do not think it is a true concensus. Most people in the donging team are probably not going to say it on this thread for fear of ridicule.

The only thing a catfish is good for is shark feed. We send them back to contribute to the survival of other species.

I cut the spikes off and use them for crab bait, muddies love them