Thread: popper fishing gold coast

popper fishing gold coast

hi guys heading down to gold coast tomorrow to try and get some success with popper fishing its a style I very much enjoy last week i only ended up with a 29cm bream on a river2sea bubble pop 45mm at the bottom of smith street fishing that little bay, if anyone can give me some extra tips maybe a few spots to try out just so i have a few options and since im only new to fishing with lures it is greatly appreciated. Also im considering buying a few berkley scum dog 3B to test out if you could give me your thoughts on them
    thank you

Re: popper fishing gold coast

be greatly appreciate if someone with the knowledge would be able to share with me so my fishing trip tomorrow doesnt turn into 300 cast and getting 1 or 2 fish

I can't offer you any tips other than search the forums. I tried on poppers for quite awhile and eventually got there. I like those small bubble pops in the dark colour (I'm colour blind). Maybe take some alternatives if poppers aren't the key for the day is my only advice. Here's the bubble pop that provided me with the best consistent results
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by goat boy; 10-06-2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: edit
    Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt, fish or ride.

thanks anyways man yea was kinda looking for a few spots people may of had some luck in just hard to find a good spot down the coast which is shallow enough to play host to fish such as whiting and bream but maybe its just me and the link says it doesnt work

You could try Marine Stadium up at the Spit. Might be over there myself sometime this weekend if the weather isn't crap. Lots of flathead around there if you want to throw a few plastics or small hardbodies. You could try for some whiting on poppers there as well. I've had lots of follows from whiting when throwing poppers around the weed banks, but no hook ups as of yet. Hooked a few long toms on poppers there, which can be an expensive bit of fun, as they shred the leader with their teeth.

Good luck,
    Kaidon
    Conservation NOT preservation!

hey thanks guys went out today at the bottom of smith street/north street near the tackle shop their and landed a 40cm flattie on a berkley crankbait 3b sub dog but sadly for 7 hours of fishing all i managed to catch but was a nice feed considering it was only me eating it. thanks headbanger will definately give it a try most like on monday since its public holidays, btw do your have any tips for when its best to use lures like certain times or anything because today was a good day for fishing, overcast little breeze bit nippy and just couldnt hook up other than that flattie

poppers tend to work best in low light (dawn/dusk) or night in the estuaries. Trevally action will be slowing down now, but should be able to find some tailor or maybe bream. Bridges are an area that are always worth a look as they attract bait and therefore predators. First of the runout is a good tide.
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

thanks jeremy but i dont really know many estuaries to fish towards night time the only ones i know would be about atleast 3m deep and i have only used bait there, well i dont many estuaries i can popper fish in general lol i started popper/hardbody lure fishing 2 weeks ago and only know the bottom of smith street where i only get about 1 fish and none for the rest of the day

I don't know the area at all. But poppers will work anywhere if it be sand flats for whiting. Rocky ledges for cod/trevs/bream etc... I don't really find its the time of year for poppers the fish seem to be hanging a bit deeper for me as the water temps change.

ok so thats maybe why my luck isnt as great with poppers and hardbodies but ill keep at it to perfect my retrieves and happily accept any fish who wants a go at it.. but yeah starting to look for more spots since i have a idea what i am doing just the lack of spots (only 1 spot) is letting me down

attempting bottom of smith street again tomorrow using 2 different berkley 3b crankbait sub dogs in hooch and the pilchard colour, going 2 hours before low tide till 1 hour after low tide will post results

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    poppers tend to work best in low light (dawn/dusk) or night in the estuaries. Trevally action will be slowing down now, but should be able to find some tailor or maybe bream. Bridges are an area that are always worth a look as they attract bait and therefore predators. First of the runout is a good tide.
    Hello Jeremy,

Can you tell me what brand and colour of popper as I'd like to try one on tailor, never used a popper before.

Thanks