Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: What is the "Flukiest" fish u have ever caught????

Re: What is the "Flukiest" fish u have ever caught????

i was fishing of the rocks when i lived in syd a few years back. my cousin caught himself a nice bream, as he was gutting the fish on the rocks i noticed a nice little squid head with about a 2/0 hook through its head inside the breams gut. i quickly reeled in my line cut my rig off tied my line directly to the 2/0 hook and cast back out to let it flow around unweighted in the wash. before i could wind my slack up, WACK i hooked onto a yellowtail king which went 70cms to his fork. true story and my cousin never let me clame that fish. sorry rossco

I was squidding with Pete the wog in the inlet ner the bedrooms a couple of years ago.
    Rod went heavy like I'd pulled some weed again so I started the slow process of retrieving. Next thing a metre plus flathead surfaces with my squid jig jammed lengthways in its gob - mouth wide open. She came to the boat without even a flick of the tail - my biggest to date and no fight. She got free and I got my razorback back.

c.j.

Smile Re: What is the "Flukiest" fish u have ever caught????

A few years ago I was fishing the western side of Fraser Island with yabbies and a light spin outfit for whiting. A small 20cm whiting hooked up about 5m from the beach and as I was retrieving it a monster 70cm flattie nailed it, but only succeeded in sliding the whiting up the line and getting my small long shank through his lip. Hard luck for the flattie(you could keep them back then), but good luck for the whiting as he survived the whole ordeal!

Used to ride my pushy as a young buck from Caboolture to Bribie skirmish point early to show the (then) old fella's how to catch chopper tailor with my Daiwa millionair on lures then head to the passage for the rest of the day to spearfish, one day while spearfishing the dropoff to the bayside of the jetty shot at a bream missed, the spear disapeared into the murk and I pulled up a nice flathead, backshot.

cheers fnq

one day my cuzin chucked a huge fillet of mullet in on a little hook. I thought he was stupid but as we were pulling our line up he caught a tailor.

ive had a few flukey exp's in the past. one day we got bored and ran out of bait when my mate grabbed my rod and decided he just wanted to see how far he could cast it, flicked it out andstarted winding it back in with no bait but somehow managed to catch a nice flatty, not jagged or anything hooked proper in the mouth. i tried to claim it as he was useing my rod n being stupid with it. same mate different day managed to cast his bait out but before it hit the water a large mullet jumped out of the water and copped a sinked mid air to the head, unlucky. one other quite funny incident was my grandad, dad, brother and i wer heading to the southern end of moreton on the bay side from yellow patch and decided to troll a couple of HB's during the trip, so out went the halco laser pro on a short stroker with the tld25 rigged up. nothing until we got to the bay when we looked back and noticed the lure skipping on top of the water so i wound it in to find a grinner of 30cm max hanging from the mouth on this 20cm lure. because the lure was so big and he was so small he just got dragged along the top. this didnt only happen once though for the next 20min we wer amazed at how many of these grinners tried to bite something a lil bit to big. i think we hooked about 5 before we got sick of having to take these things off so we just gave up trolling

Years ago fishing off the beach in the Broadwater. It was late at night and I was half asleep. We had some nice fish in a keeper net held in the water by a rod holder. I heard a lot of splashing near the net so grabbed the torch to investigate. Right next to the net was a big eel (about 4ft long) and a huge mud crab....they were arguing over who should have the fish in the keeper net! I had waders on so I walked around behind them, slid my boot under the muddy and flipped him onto the beach. Then I raced out of the water and pinned him on the sand with my boot so I could pick him up! Fresh fish AND mud crab for lunch the next day...YUM!

oh one other funny but unluckly story, we had a wireframe crab pot in off my grandparents jetty in cabbage tree, checked it one morning and while pulling it up i noticed it was really heavy about 3 times the weight, i thought hell yeh nice big pot full of crabs only to find a 6-7 foot pike eel had swum through one crawl hole and tried to get out the other one opposite it but bcoz he was so big he got stuck in the middle, tail out one end head out another, thats what he got for being trying to flogour crab bait, the few crabs that wer also in the pot had probably got annoyed with him being there coz there was a few claw crimps on him. so not only was he stuck but he couldnt get away from the crabs that wer having a go at him!!!

While throwing the castnet gathering some poddies for bait in the Logan on dusk the other week I managed to catch an 89cm flathead. Of course I put her back due to legal sizing.

About 10 years ago in Mackay I managed a nice size barra in the castnet also.

Also in Mackay when I was a kid my brother managed a spottie mack on a bit of a smiths crisps packet. He figured the reflections would work just like a wobbler so he put a hook thru it and cast it out and retrieved it real fast. Took him about 10 mins, but it worked.
    Last edited by Dunks; 13-04-2007 at 04:12 PM.
    Wayne D

---------------------------------------------------
    Hobie Revolution

dont know if this counts but hey

went fishing down the loal river for about 3 hours didnt get a flamming nibble and there was larg schools for herron the next minute big spashes sumthing was chasing the herron about 30m up as anyone would the go investagate to my surprise theres a small barra flicking between 2 rocks bout 2m from the water it went 3kg and 60cm long..

well i thought it was good
    cheers

How ya living?

Quote Originally Posted by B_E_N View Post
    oh one other funny but unluckly story, we had a wireframe crab pot in off my grandparents jetty in cabbage tree, checked it one morning and while pulling it up i noticed it was really heavy about 3 times the weight, i thought hell yeh nice big pot full of crabs only to find a 6-7 foot pike eel had swum through one crawl hole and tried to get out the other one opposite it but bcoz he was so big he got stuck in the middle, tail out one end head out another, thats what he got for being trying to flogour crab bait, the few crabs that wer also in the pot had probably got annoyed with him being there coz there was a few claw crimps on him. so not only was he stuck but he couldnt get away from the crabs that wer having a go at him!!!

i use to liev out west and the very first time i went to the coast i bought 1 crab pot and a hand line went to the first spot i knew about and put the pot in and chucked the lind out after bout 30min didnt have a bit so i called it quits pulled up the pot to find a 8kg estray cod had gone in....as it was my first time fishing i had one look and thought look at this mungrell spinny fish and let it go

cheers

How ya living?

Out with my neighbor yesterday and we are drifting off Green in 5 Meters. He casts and instantly gets snagged...Darn it. He pulls to free the line and the snag starts to lift. He gets it to the surface and bugger me a small CLAM has pinched his line. Not the hook or the sinker but his leader. Bugger me!! I never!!

BilgeBoy

I caught a 34cm YellowFin Whitting on a soft plastic in about 4cm on water while talking on the phone. Scared the living crap out of me.

Well i wouldn't call it a fish. One afternoon having a fish in an eddy by the rip bridge, snagged on to something i thought was good, a mate got the net ready, and it was no fish, it was my mate rod he dropped over board about an hour or 2 befor, in a fairly strong tidal area around the turn of the tide, and yeah, got his rod back, you beauty....

Birchy

I was surf fishing for whiting up at 8th ave Woorim and got hit hard by what i now know was a 33cm whiting but as i reeled it in a huge weight hit my line, it had me stuffed as to what was going on.
    A hungry tailor had swallowed the whiting whole and I landed both without any hook remotely close to the tailor.
    Can't beat live bait