Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: What is the "Flukiest" fish u have ever caught????

Re: What is the "Flukiest" fish u have ever caught????

Was fishing with my cousin Bob from Bathurst on the little dam. We were having a yarn catching up after not seeing each other for a year or so. After a couple of hours in the boat with no fish I was starting to tire. We pulled up in the shade of a tree near the bank. I was lying back against the side, fully stretched out with the rod under my back. Started drifting off when bang! A 6kk Redfin! Couldn't believe my luck after trying everything without success. The harder I try the luckier I get?

Don't know if you can call this fish. Few years ago fishing with a buddy down at Balmain. As he laid one rod down and putting bait on the other. A fish pull his down rod into the water and disappear into the deep. All we could do was watch. He thought I was playing trick on him and I thought wtf is the rod doing in the water and line peeling off it. Well, one to the fish. As the spot was our favourite spot. We visited there nearly every week during the summer. We always joke about hooking that "rod & reel". About a month later I did and fish it out of the water. My hook was hooked into the rod's grip, we couldn't believe it. He took them home, clean it up and it was all good again. He still fish with them. Now what is the proability of doing that.

Last year at Teewah beach, Noosa, was digging for pipi's in a few inches of water. My foot hit what I thought was a little crab, Iinitially pulled my foot out, not wanting to get grabbed by a crab. Curiousity got me though, I thought maybe it wasn't a crab and some rubbish or something, and I started digging (softly) to see exactly what it was. Lo and behold, a little stargazer was buried there! I picked him up and yelled out to the missus a few feet away "look how good a fisherman I am, I can catch them from the water bare handed"!
    To this day I laugh when I hear her go on about how I 'grabbed a fish swimming around in the water with my bare hands'
    The little stargazer went back unharmed.
    And I get a good laugh whenever I think about it.

in 1990 at shady camp NT...

i mis-cast a heavy wobbler and it landed with a smack about 1 foot from the bank, and 20mtrs downstream. as i retrieved i realised there was a fish on the end of the line.....

id hooked him in the gills with the mis-cast. reeled him in. he went 52cm. my first barra.....

On a stop over at Smoky Bay in South Oz a few years back we decided to try and catch some squid for our tea. Baited up in of those squid jig/spike thingies that you put a small fish on and threw it out off the jetty on a 30 pound hand line.
    The bait was taken in a flash by a school shark a bit over a metre long. The jig held on at the shark end, I held on at my end, and after violent tug 'o' war I had the shark on the jetty with my hands slightly resembling mince meat ! And we still ended up with squid for tea, as well as a few days supply of flake.
    Taz

Years ago while standing on a sandbank at Burrum Heads my older brother was telling me he would show me how to fish. We had a big old handline on a wooden reel with a spoon lure which we used to troll behind the old mans boat. He winds up and casts of the sandbank then starts to rip the line back in hand over hand. First cast he scored a little mackeral. Neither of us could believe it.

Matho

I got a pearlie on an ugly rush job snapper rig! Loop way too big!!

Funny thing was his didnt take the bait!! He got his head stuck in the loop!!!

Had be ba-dazzled when i was looking for the hook an realised it gilled him!

i was swimming around in the surf at seaspray and there were little mullet literaly jump all around me for dead bugs and stuff and i caught one with my hands. YAY

It was last weekend at Bribie, I caught a stone fish adjacent to the IGA on the low tide, hooked him through the large spike or spine, i couldn't believe it.Cut the line and through him back in.

Okay this is a no bull story.

On a whim, went fishing for some catfish at Kholo Bridge, and threw in my line. Got some bites, didn't get anything though bloody catfish made off with my prawn, so I reeled in my line.

Then eh? My line is all the way reeled in to the tip, but I can still see a LINE going from my rod to the water, and there's something trashing about on the end of it. Weird.

What I'd done, was hooked some line that obviously someone had cut off and had become tangled, and I'd hooked the tangled bit, and on the end of the tangled line, was an eel-tailed catfish!

Anyway, I got the hook out of the poor buggers mouth and let him go.
    Pobbs > 28. Strictly recreational fisher.
    Mr Chicken > 3 in Janaury! Likes to reel the line in, fish on the end or not.

I cant say I caught a fish but I was playing with my cast net (just got it) and was casting into the pine river hoping to catch something to use as bait, this being my first time I wasn't the best and didn't always remember to secure the other end, well I had it around my ankle as i threw it out and I took a step and threw it out again realising I had just steped out of the rope loop. I was devastated I had just lost my damn cast net to the river..... well I continued fishing with my mate and low and behold about 2 cast before we were about to give up I managed to hook the end of the rope loop and got my cast net back..... from that day on I have never forgot to secure hte other end... LoL Cant say I am an better with the net though

Many moons ago whilst trolling deep diving lures in the Burrum River, I snagged what I thought was a mangrove branch. What I did end up with was a 60cm flathead jagged in the top of the head ( yes....between the eyes). This was a very unlucky fish.

along while back 20yrs or so was fishing the mouth of the logan, had just baited up a pillie and droped it over the side of the tinnie 3ft water max, it took off in an instant and wound in a 6pd flattie unlucky fish.

This one is for a little guy who is sadly missed ....

My Dad was driving along Preston Beach, South of Perth, one day, with his dog, called Dog, in the back tray, as you do.

He had caught a 150kg hammerhead a couple of weeks before, and was feeling pretty good about himself, when Dog suddenly leaps from the back of the 4WD, and darts straight into the surf.

No amount of calling could get him back, and about 10 seconds later, he finally emerges (Bull Terriers don't float, due to the amount of muscle on their bodies), he has in his mouth a 5kg Australian Salmon. He must have seen it beach itself or something, then get rolled back in on the surf.

The old man went home empty, except for the headless corpse of said salmon.

Dog did this twice more in his lifetime. Funny bugger!

I wanted to try a new contraption a friend had showed me when I went out with him in his boat Saturday fortnight ago.
    This contraption allows you to pump for yabbies even if the yabbie bed is covered in 2 feet of water. It's much less labour intensive using it I can tell you. I will post info & pics of it another time as I have no pictures of it at present.
    After about an 3/4 hour getting yabbies we headed out the front of Burrum Heads past the last marker. We drifted for a bit trying our luck then we saw about 3 groups of birds working the surface.
    We chased after one group of them when we saw which ones were working the surface for baitfish. We kept casting out a silver lure hoping to hook up something. Col hooked up what looked like a mackerel but the hook did not set in its mouth and it lived to fight another day.
    I had a go and hooked something. As I was reeling it in my eggbeater reel decided to seperate from my rod.
    It took a team effort to land the fish with me holding the rod and Col winding it in. When the fish came up to the surface we both saw it was a huge longtail tuna. It didn't put up much of a fight maybe because of where it was hooked had disorientated it.
    Col yelled "Quick, get the net" I netted the fish and when it was in the boat we both saw how lucky it was to have landed it.
    It was hooked in the eye!
    It started shaking and blood was going everywhere.
    I got it into the esky and closed the lid.
    We kept chasing the birds around for a bit longer but no more success.
    Went for a cruise over to Woodgate Beach up from the Burrum Point camp area. I said to Col that looks like a turtle on the beach.
    So we turned around for a closer look and it was a green sea turtle. It looked so exhausted on the beach just waiting for the tide to come in.
    Col gave it some help and put it back into the water and it swam away.
    The water was gettin a bit choppy so we went back in and had a fish near Walkers Point. Col caught a soul.
    Then decided to go for a fish near the mouth of the Gregory. No action there.
    It started to drizzle rain and we headed back. We stopped occasionly for a bit of a drift and fish along the way.
    Catching no more decent fish apart from pearl perch and bream too small to keep we decided to call it a day.
    As we got to the boat ramp the rain got heavier. There were people waiting to go out.
    Col had a brilliant idea of getting the boat ready for the trip home under the roof at the old service station so we wouldn't get soaked.
    On the way past the tackle shop in I decided to get the tuna weighed. It was 5kg gutted.
    Got home and scaled the tuna on the mobile filleting table I had made.
    Finally christened it. Yay!
    Tried to cut it into steaks but did not have a cleaver or huge knife. I gave the fish to Col as he said he had a cleaver. He tried to cut it into steaks but no success either.