Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keeping muddies alive

keeping muddies alive

I am just getting into crabbing up here at Agnes and have what may be an unusual question.

If we have a good day and manage to get more crabs than the two of us can eat would it be possible to cook some and keep the rest alive for say a week until we are ready to have them for dinner again?

I have seen them tied up in restaurants and it got me wondering if I could do it at home. I think I know a common reply to this maybe "I just cook them all at once and keep the excess in the fridge and they are fine for a week or so" but I'm a believer in fresh is best and wouldn't mind the hassle as I have a huge tank and 240V aerator and filter etc.

Anybody been bothered doing this kind of thing before?

Glenn_Woods

Re: keeping muddies alive

Not to that extent. But if kept tied and oxygenated, I dont see why not.
    I have kept plenty alive for days tied and covered in a cool area with a moist potatoe sack over them. So long as they have not sustained any recent injury, Includind a leg left behind in the crab pot.

Woodsy

Wilson

Like woodys said mate, if you willing to put in a bit of effort and common sense keeping them alive they should be right for awhile. By the way, great photo mate!!!!

Thanks for that Woodsy. I've seen that pic on another post I think and it really makes me drool!

How do crabs breath out of water? It's got me thinking now.

I have kept a muddie in a tank for years, but unless you tie them up you will only have one live one, as the biggest/meanest one will rip the others to bits, well at least that's what happened to me, but the biggest problem with Mud crabs is killing them ,they are very hardy and will live out of water for ages if kept cool.

Question------ can muddies still feed if they are tied up? How long can they live for if they are tied up? Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

they COULD feed, but not too sure if they will, be a bit p!ssed off I think, and if they are cool and moist, they will stay alive for weeks out of water, no drama.

why would you want to keep them tied up for long periods of time..unnecessarily cruel if you ask me. Keep only what you need for a fresh feed and throw the rest back.
    Good reason to go for another fish in a few days time to catch another feed.

yeah mate no worries keeping them alive for long amounts of time. they will not feed tied up so what they do is eat all there stored fat and start wasting away the longer u keep them and will enventually just wither away into nothing.

oops

Quote Originally Posted by efc
    why would you want to keep them tied up for long periods of time..unnecessarily cruel if you ask me. Keep only what you need for a fresh feed and throw the rest back.
    Good reason to go for another fish in a few days time to catch another feed.

Now you come to mention it efc I didn't ask you. And regarding why I would want to keep them tied up is because I have a job that doesn't enable me to get out as often as I would like, or apparently as you would like. It was a hypothetical question and I haven't caught one yet let alone enough to warrant keeping some alive. If I do however get heaps in one day I will no doubt remember your words of wisdom.

Nice nose though. Thanks for sticking it in.

Quote Originally Posted by themooks
    Thanks for that Woodsy. #I've seen that pic on another post I think and it really makes me drool!

How do crabs breath out of water? #It's got me thinking now.
    Crabs are amphibian so they will easily breath atmospheric air mate. One thing to remember though, they can be poisonous when they're already dead when you cook them...(got that from experience). Also they seem to have more meat in them during the full moon...creepy stuff

Just spoke to my mate who owns a seafood shop, and he keeps his in salt water about and inch deep and they will last for weeks. They inhale the water just next to the front legs and spit the water out. He reckons they need to have water so they can keep highdrated.

Also his tip is to cook them upside down, supposably keeps the fatty juice in them and then into cold icy salt water upside down also.

Cheers

Dan

jimboomba_jed

HA HA HA!!! Crabs are crustaceans actually mate, You can keep them out of water for a while but if u want to keep them in a tank then its best off only havn them in their for a day or two, if you feed them it tends to foul the water quicker than you can cook them!

Donnan

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

I'll defy anyone to keep a muddie alive out of water "for weeks no drama" as has been stated here. They can be kept alive for some days out of the water just as they were when they used to be railed from NQ and CQ to southern destinations. But muddies have gills, and when the gills eventually dry out the crab will die. Keeping them cool and moist with wet bags etc will only hold them for a matter of days, and even after that time, if you drop them back into sea water they will die as the gills are too far dehydrated.

When I want to keep crabs for a prolonged period of time I boil them for 5 mins, clean them and then freeze them. On the day when I want them take them from the freezer, thaw them, and boil for a further 10 mins. Beautiful and fresh just as if you caught them that day.

Cheers

Dave