Thread: Bad luck or poor technique?

Captian_Zero

Bad luck or poor technique?

I fished at Lota yesterday afternoon for no result.

I was using SP's and had quite a few good hits but no hook ups. I was using Berkely and Squidgy jigheads so I don't think they are to blame.

It was quite windy so I was fishing with the rod tip low to try and stay in contact with the lure. Could this have contributed to the lack of hook ups? This has worked for me on windy days in the past.

Maybe it was just one of those days.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

hussy

Re: Bad luck or poor technique?

thats easy fixed chris, chuck the plastics and go back to bait, the fish will love you for it . bob h

Try downsizing you're plastic. Eg: if you're using a 4 inch bait and getting hits or tail bites swap over to a 3 inch with the same size hook so if a fish still hits close to the tail it may hook up better.

Kev

Chris,

I presume you were in a boat drifting?? When the wind starts to push your boat, if it is against the tide you will find it hard to keep it on the bottom. The bites you felt may be pike or something not worth chasing.

This is what I would do..... Keep casting ahead of the drift as far in front of the boat as possible. With light jig heads, you may be able to get to the bottom if you leave the line sink.. IE: don't wind in until the belly of the line starts to straighten. When the line moves to the back of the boat, open the bail arm as if you were going to cast, lift the rod tall in the air with bail arm open ( peels some line off the spool), then close the bail arm, as the slack in the line straightens again. Sometimes even this is not enough to combat the current/ wind combination, which is why I then throw out my parachute anchor, effectively slowing the drift, which will give my plastic a better chance of getting down to the bottom.

If that dos not work, the fish simply aint there and the bites are little fish and vermin like toadies, grinners, small squire and pike.

Good luck.

Scalem

Hey Chris, the problem is your user ID.

Change it to "Captain Plenty", and all will be fixed.

- Sea-Dog

Most likely it was only rubbish anyway, small stuff is often hard to hook on plastics.

Captian_Zero

Thanks for the replies guys.

I was fishing landbased using mainly three inch berkely minnows pumpkinseed and pearl/blue and 80mm pink squidgy wrigglers.

Will give the spot another go soon as I rarely miss out on at least catching something. The guys fishing bait I spoke with were not having a lot of luck either.

Regards

Chris

cdenyer

I think you probably had "one of those days". If we all caught fish every time we went out, there wouldn't be many fish for anyone to catch.

Chris