Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP: I need tips on catching beachworms

HELP: I need tips on catching beachworms

Hi
    could anyone here give some tips on catching worms cause 3 days ago me and 4 other people went out worming for 5 hours and caught one worm...
    then
    yesterday me and my grandpa yet again went out (this time with plyers) and i caught a worm and my grandpa caught 1/4 of a worm and a hell of allot of heads. so yeah i was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers Also if u have any pictures could you post them
    Cheers

Re: HELP: I need tips on catching beachworms

Mate if ya can catch 1 worm then you are already doing a better job than most people can.

patience grasshopper, you're time will come

mate Patience is the key just take your time and dont touch before you have to.
    also when you've got them up feeding on ur bait hookyour finger under them ( but dont touch them) and when the arch up on the bait squeeze slowly and only tighten up once you can feel them in ur fingers. once you get a few it becomes heaps easier but they are still slipprey buggers.
    good luck

wiseguy67

gotcha4good #~I am at the same stage as you.

bballfisho ~That info #"hook your finger under them, squeeze slowly and only tighten up once you can feel them" might be the key lesson i have been looking for as i was always doing the pinch quickly and i'll get the little b@$t@rd > no one ever mentioned to go slow.

Now I can't wait to go and give it another try. After a few hours of being bent over and lots of frustration I gave up after a few sessions.

Cheers,
    Gerard

The key to catching your first few worms is to do everything SLOWLY. Once you've found your worm, position yourself level with it, legs well spread and wait for a good wave to recede with no more big ones coming. Hold your bait (pippie, fish skin strip etc) just away from the worm as the last of the water runs away and the worm will come out looking for it. As you let the worm reach the bait and grab on dig your thumb and first finger into the sand on either side of the worm so that when you grab it you will be about 2-3cm below the head. Now SLOWLY begin to squeeze your thumb and first finger together so that you contact the worm. At this stage the worm will ignore you if you don't make any sudden movements. GRADUALLY increase the pressure until you are pressing your thumb and finger AS TIGHTLY AS YOU CAN. This process should take about 30 seconds. Then, and only then, pull the worm upwards with a quick, but steady pull. Don't stop or even slow down during the pull because if the worm gets a grip on the sand again it will break most times. Because my hands are a bit weak due to arthritis I actually use a two handed pull. Once I've got the good grip with my right hand I drop the bait and hook the index finger of my left hand around the worm below my right hand and pull with both at the same time. Don't give up - once you learn the technique you will never forget it and great bait will be free from that moment on
    Cheers Freeeedom

thanx for help ill try with a bit more patience then ehh
    cheers

Ive also seen people put their hand bait in a stocking. Apparently the worm gets caught up in the stocking momentarily which can help to hold the worm up for just a little bit longer to get that grip on it

I watched two pro's do it on the Cooloola beach over the last few days, christ those guys are quick 3 to 4 in worms 15 secs. Bloody good money they make an hr

Watched a couple of pros doing it at Main Beach Iluka once. Boy, were they any good or what!!

I'm no good at it, but my mate does OK. I'm the smelly bag man and he's the catcher. Jeez, doesn't he get annoyed when he's bending over and I don't tell him a bigger wave is coming in and he gets a wet bum.

Quite funny really.

TOL

I personaly havent done it, i have seen my Father do it pretty much like all the other responces here, but at times he also uses a spade after he gets them to come to the surface with some bait, Digs deep behind them then lifts them out.

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisher
    I personaly havent done it, i have seen my Father do it pretty much like all the other responces here, but at times he also uses a spade after he gets them to come to the surface with some bait, Digs deep behind them then lifts them out.

Thats what I would have assumed was the way to go.

Are they on just about all beaches or what? (i'm in Sydney_)

one of those things that takes the knack hey !
    Well said Freeeedom !
    They are quick little bastards and if you try and outwit them with speed you will lose everytime . and yes , once you start to lift , get them the hellout before they dig and snap

Great tips from freedom,
    I find that doing things slowly and not getting over excited when you are near the worm really helps. I too find that having your fingers just slightly under the sand and not in direct contact with the worm, is less threatening to the worm. Gently increase the pressure through the sand, and when the worm either arches, or you have a good grip on the worm through slowly increasing your pressure, gently but quickly pull him out. The pros are super quick, but they have other tricks, sometimes going too fast without the experience of the pros will break the worms.
    Cheers Fritzy

Yeah - the pros technique is different. They hold the bait just inside their hand so that the worm must reach over their first finger to reach it. They then clamp the worm with their thumb, squeezing down onto the knuckle of the first finger just as the worm arches, and pull it out all in one motion. I've tried this a few times and caught a few worms by this method but the timing is absolutely critical. The slow way is more reliable for amateurs like me
    Cheers Freeeedom

Excellent work guys... I'm keen to give this a shot!
    I am curious as to how to actually find these little buggers? Are there tell tale signs? or do you just waft the bag around in the sand aimlessly?