Thread: Beach worms

Beach worms

Hi all,
    Just wondering any good techniques for catching beach worms. And how to know if they are one the beach.

Thanks

Sean

Re: Beach worms

Havent done it since i was a kid but we used to keep some fish frames in the freezer or even better were stripey fillets...smelly is good. Put them in a hession bag or net (something highly porous) with some cord attached and wander along the beach break till u find some....the more eyes the better. Wave the net/bag back and forth in a wide arc as the water recedes after each break and look for V marks on the sand as the water recedes over them...they show up as they stick their little noggins up looking for what is causing the smell.
    Keep a piece of fish or meat separate and tempt him by hand to latch onto it...pinch the little bugger with your other hand as he has a nibble and slowwwwwllyy pull him out...be smooth or u'll snap him.

Kids are great for spotting them and they can be a lotta fun to find. Some of my favorite beach memories are from sandworming.

Either that or buy some gulp 6"sandworms coz they are dynamite (my new not so secret weapon in sydney)...best thing ever invented for the lazy fisho that works long hrs.

There are lots of threads on this site that will help you with worming. This is one of the better ones

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB...m=1136534659/0

Cheers Freeeedom

If there are whiting in nearby gutters there's a good chance that the beachworms will be on adjacent beaches.

As far as techniques go; there are many, i usually vary mine according to how each one is feeding. but generally you try to get one finger beneath the worm, then press down with the thumb when they arch up.

it can take hours of practise sometimes. but the skill is rewarding, as you will never have to pay for worms again.

cheers

rockfisho

The "Catching Beach Worms" video from the Alvey website might help:

http://www.alveyusa.com/video.php