Thread: Anyone fish the mary river for king and barra???

Anyone fish the mary river for king and barra???

Hey everyone just wondering if there is any people on here from or around maryborough qld that fish the mary river for threadfin salmon or barra? I only get them for about 2 months a year at beaver rock and thats a very long time to go between feeds of king and barra. i hear of people catching them all year round. Im pretty sure i just got to find them up the river more when they aren't at beaver rock. Yeh any advice wuld b greatly appreciated!

Re: Anyone fish the mary river for king and barra?

I used to chase king in the mary up until a couple of years ago. Time to start chasing them was when the mulberry trees started to flower and keep chasing them until it gets to cold for them. I used to chase the in the river from the pocket area in maryborough up to the barrage. the saltier the water the better. My best tip I can give you is to use live prawns. If you have to cast net for 2 hours for 6 prawns do it. I found that the harder the prawns are to catch the more likey you were to catch a king on the ones you did catch. That whole stretch of river should hold king at this time of year. I cannot stress enough that the most important thing is your bait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks wazzup, i didnt know if i would get any replies. yeh live prawns r the go ay pretty scarce at the moment but ill just throw the cast net for abit longer. i done pretty well with live mullet in the past aswell. seem 2 get the big king (sum over a metre) on mullet. boy do they pull hard! ive been told the gravel bank past grahmans creek is real good n apparently the one near tinana creek mouth. anyway ill head out bright n early 2morra n ill let u know how i go mate, cheers.

have a look at www.fishntales.com, its the local hervey bay site, a few of the felas on there fish up the mary.
    cheers

Best session I have ever had on king was at the mouth of Tinana creek. Coincidently it was one of the best sessions I have ever had catching prawns in the river at the same spot before we started fishing. I have also done OK with the live mullet at times but could never beat the live prawns. If you want to catch the really big ones (if there are any still there) than try using a small live river perch for bait. The only problem is the sharks like them as well.

Good luck tomorrow
    Wazza

Lenthals

How did you go over the weekend

Wazza

tshort

I reckon if anyone wants to know about fishing the Mary read bob, Serene ladys, post. He grew up there and still lives on the river. Youy mmight catch up with him or get the same info from the new bait and tackle store in Granville, on the left heading out. Bobs very helpful.

wazzup sorry it took awhile to get back to you my computer has been down. no luck on the weekend but im very persistant. ill probably get out again this weekend ill let u know if i go.

elprez interesting u say that. i was there the other day at that tackle shop n i talked to him for quiet awhile about bass fishing in tinana creek, fishing at lenthals, barra fishing at awoonga, barra fishing at monduran and talked to him bout fishing under the granville bridge. he was a really nice bloke with plenty of knowledge of the area.