Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Noosa Head Rocks

Noosa Head Rocks

Hi all

I'm heading up to Perigian Beach and Noosa on the holidays, looking to do a bit of beach fishing. i would like some info on what's working around the headland and Noosa, and the best spots to try.

last time i went there i fished Sunshine rocks, and caught a nice drummer.

thanks

Owen

Re: Noosa Head Rocks

The Noosa National Park headland is the best rockhopping location in SE Qld. At this time of the year it provides mackerel, tuna, yellowtail kings, cobia, various trevally, big jew, some big tailor and dart, bream and various reefies. It is best fished at night and from dawn through to about 10am. You need to be careful with the conditions and don't risk it if a big sea is running. My favourite locations are the north side of Hell's Gates and the Fairy Pools both of which provide deep water right at your feet. You need heavy gear and a good long gaff to handle the large fish which are regularly taken there. The sequence of fish are bream, reefies and jew at night and around dawn, tailor at dawn and then the bigger pelagics come on as the day gets a bit brighter. Here's a photo of the headland showing the locations
    Cheers Freeeedom

Hell's gates
    Cheers #Freeeedom

Pistol_Pete

Good photos freedom...

I have spent quite a lot of time fishing the rocks both up here and the NSW ledges....While SEQ seems to lack the deep water ledges of the south it seems to make up for with the variety of fish available at times.I have caught various types of trevally and some good quality mackeral and tuna off the Noosa rocks....A mate of mine has caught some nice Jew and I have missed some runs.It is seasonal and I walked out there this morning and saw no bait,no birds and no fish....I have had most of my success on mackeral aound Febuary and March when they thicken up a bit.
    I find Hells Gates to be a bugger of a spot as its open to any bit of wind...It cops a hammering in both a Northerly & Southerly....uncomfortable....The walk out is often quite long but very entertaining with good quality fit girls jogging and walking...

I've caught most of my big fish there in spring and early summer, but that's partly due to fishing eslewhere for other fish through the winter. Try walking back about 9am with 25kg of jew over your shoulder. That gets the girls attention! You'll find you have to stop and pose for a few photos before you make the car park.
    Cheers Freeeedom

how do you get out on to the fairy pools? can u just walk out along the rocks?

Cheers, Mick.

The Fairy Pools is an easy walk down from the national park track - about 50 metres. Fish from the high rocks just on the right hand side of the pool, always keeping an eye out for larger than normal swells. When the seas are calm you can fish the lower rocks near the water's edge on the left of the pool. This is a good spot for bream at night but not so good in daylight because the water is much shallower.
    Hell's Gates is a bit harder to reach. It's a careful climb down the cliffs at the end of the track on the right hand side of the 'gates'.
    Cheers Freeeedom

bidkev

I've fished the safer rocks further round from hell's gate at Alex' Beach and have caught good quality dart, bream and tailor.......oh, and shovellies The kids can have a frolic if you fish from there and keep your eyes open for the skinny dippers

kev

Freeedom, Do you walk in from Sunshine or Little Cove/1st Point? Cheers.

Drive through Noosa around to the national park picnic area. Park outside the gates (they are locked at night) and walk the track past the boiling pot, tea tree bay, dolphin point, granite bay, winch cove and then the cliffs start at the fairy pools. This is the start of the deep water whcih extends all the way to Hell's Gates.
    Cheers Freeeedom

Pistol_Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Freeeedom
    The Fairy Pools is an easy walk down from the national park track - about 50 metres.
    Cheers #Freeeedom

Where are you coming from???.....The fairy pools is a good 25 minute solid walk from the Noosa Heads Car park...
    Do you mean 50metres once off the track... .....
    I was praying you had some sneaky quicker way of getting out there.....

Like it says - 50 metres from the TRACK. It's about a 5 km walk past all the bays mentioned to get to where the track turns east at the Fairy Pools towards Hell's Gates and you leave the track to climb down to the fishing spots near the pool
    Cheers Freeeedom

Freeeedom,
    You mentioned a long handled gaff. How long a handle would you consider appropriate for an attack on Hell's Gates!! Thanks.

The longest you can get your hands on - it depends a bit where you fish but in many places you're 6 or 7 metres above the water so that you have to work fish that are too big to lift, once they are beaten, around to lower areas where you can get a gaff into them or wash them up onto ledges where you can grab them. Fortunately the big jew tend to give up pretty easily after their initial run and come in belly up, so they are much easier to handle than something like a spaniard or a tuna which never give up.
    Cheers Freeeedom

Quote Originally Posted by ffejsmada
    Freeeedom,
    #You mentioned a long handled gaff. How long a handle would you consider appropriate for an attack on Hell's Gates!! Thanks.
    get your self a flying gaff a lot easier..