Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Noosa Head Rocks

Re: Noosa Head Rocks

Im off to noosa on the 14-19th october and will hope to try these areas will anyone from the forums be there fishing any of these days? would be good to go with someone who knows the area

Quote Originally Posted by IRMC000 View Post
    Pistol P
    What rods do you use for spinning and baitfishing off here
    Heavy spinning I use a live fibre 4120 10ft rod and a shimano speedmaster TSS4...spooled with 30lb braid.

Light spinning I use a pacific composite PPG spin which is rated up to 6kg and is 9ft in length....matched up with a okuma Epix 6000.....spooled with 14lb braid.

Pete

Is this address below a pic of the Fairy pools area?
    http://www.naceland.com/Australia/pi...a/006noosa.JPG
    It says it is but ... ?
    Is there somewhere on the Internat where I can see pics of the Noosa headland in detail - Fairy Pools to Hell's Gate?
    Thanks

I am unable to view that link for some reason. Here are some pictures of the headland from Google Earth
    Cheers Freeeedom

Freeeedom - Thank you VERY MUCH - very good info on Noosa Heads - Would you mind indicating how far off the water each of the sites you indicate are and whether they are flat or rocky - how much room is there - how many fihers would be able to fish there? - THANKS A MILLION
    R

Freeeedom How difficult is it to fish along the rocks between Fairy pools and the Hell's gate area? What's the terrain like? Do people do it?

Freeeedom - Thank you VERY MUCH - very good info on Noosa Heads - Would you mind indicating how far off the water each of the sites you indicate are and whether they are flat or rocky - how much room is there - how many fihers would be able to fish there? - THANKS A MILLION
    R
    The area on the right hand side of the Fairy Pools is 6 -8 metres above the water. There are some fairly level spots and room for about 6 anglers with a bit of room between each. The area on the left of the pools is lower and in calm weather you can almost fish down to water level. There's only room for 2 or 3 anglers to comfortably fish there. The water is much shallower here and it's best fished in the dark when the fish come in close. It is a good spot to land a fish too big to pull up the cliffs on the other side. Don't even think of going down there if there's a swell running.
    There's room on the northern side of Hell's Gates for quite a few anglers to spread along the rocks to the left of the point, but the best location is the area circled, casting east to north-east. Here you are about 6 metres above the water. On the southern side of the gates you could fit about 4 anglers, casting east to south east, or even south. You are about 4 metres above the water. Again the water is shallower here so the main catch is bream, tailor and jew.
    The cliffs in between the Fairy Pools and Hell's Gates are very steep and difficult to descend. I've never seen anyone fishing them and have never tried myself
    Cheers Freeeedom

Freeeedom I really do appreciate the information - Brilliant pics and showing me where to go.
    Why is it called the Fairy pools?
    I hope to get up there sometime in November. I have about a 3 1/2 hour trip to get there so I need to pick my day so as not to miss out on fishing.
    What seas or swell should I look for in the marine forecasts to be able to fish this area?
    What are the best winds?
    What species could I expect in November?
    What is the bottom structure?
    Do you do much gear in bait fishing the bottom?
    What fishing strategies and rigs do you suggest - fishing bottom / 4 feet above the bottom / floating baits / what?
    What baits would maximise my chances for Kings here?
    What is the most likely species I will catch?
    How successful are lures?
    I REALLY APPRECIATE THE GREAT ADVICE
    I hope to have a rod built to use here in November but I don't think I will have the time cause I've got 3 to finish before I start it.
    Robert

I found this pic - Hell's Gates and do you recognise this other pic?

that second pick looks to be fairy pools looking back into granite bay...please correct me if im mistaken

The first pic is taken from the north side of Hell's Gates looking south. The beach is Alexandria Bay and the headland in the distance is Lion Rock. The swell is large and the rocks would be totally unfishable on a day like this.
    The second pic is taken from above the Fairy Pools looking west into Granite Bay. It's probably taken on the same day and is again unfishable. The extent of the white water breaking over the point shows that attempting to fish anywhere on the headland would be extremely dangerous in those conditions.
    If you do get to Noosa and find the conditions like this you can still fish off the rocky beach on the eastern side of Granite Bay through the night. I've taken a few jew there when the rest of the headland was unfishable due to a large swell.
    Cheers Freeeedom

Freeeedom I really do appreciate the information - Brilliant pics and showing me where to go.
    Why is it called the Fairy pools?
    I hope to get up there sometime in November. I have about a 3 1/2 hour trip to get there so I need to pick my day so as not to miss out on fishing.
    What seas or swell should I look for in the marine forecasts to be able to fish this area?
    What are the best winds?
    What species could I expect in November?
    What is the bottom structure?
    Do you do much gear in bait fishing the bottom?
    What fishing strategies and rigs do you suggest - fishing bottom / 4 feet above the bottom / floating baits / what?
    What baits would maximise my chances for Kings here?
    What is the most likely species I will catch?
    How successful are lures?
    I REALLY APPRECIATE THE GREAT ADVICE
    I hope to have a rod built to use here in November but I don't think I will have the time cause I've got 3 to finish before I start it.
    Robert
    Hi Robert
    Q1 - Who knows?
    Q2 - Light ones. The swell will be small after a westerly or a weak high pressure system passes over. Forecast saying 'winds light to moderate, south east to northeast' is the sort of thing you want to hear.
    Q3 - just about anything
    Q4 - mostly rock and reef
    Q5 - you don't lose a lot of gear if you fish the right way. When fishing the bottom for bream, reefies and jew at night you cast out and let your bait find the bottom. You then wait, without moving the bait, until a fish takes it. You then lift and wind quickly to keep it clear of the bottom as you retrieve. When fishing for any of the pelagics I always bait spin, so that the bait never reaches the bottom
    Q6 - see above
    Q7 - most of the kings I've caught there were taken on bait spun pilchards or pike although the odd one has taken a lure
    Q8 - difficult to say. It depends on the day and what comes through. There are always bream around the rocks at night, and a mixture of reefies, particularly on the northern side of Hell's Gates. There will nearly always be dart in the same location in daylight. But to catch the larger fish, jew at night and the large pelagics in the daylight you have to use rigs too big for bream or dart. I always say I'd rather catch one fish weighing 15 kilos than15 fish weighing 1 kilo. So you have to be patient and put in the effort. If you only catch one fish it's usually worth it.
    Q9 - I don't do a lot of lure fishing but I have taken a few trevally on chrome lures and the odd kingy and mackerel. Lures are particularly useful to reach schools of small pelagics which are out of casting range for a pillie. However that means you have to carry extra gear, and it's a long hike back, especially if you're carrying an extra 30kg of fish
    Cheers Freeeedom

Any northerly wind will blow most of the fishing out. However sunshine rocks and the southern end of hells gates are ok.

I'd just experiment with all rigs, ie floating pillies, wash rigs, bottom bashers, and see what is working on the day.

I'm heading up there mid november, so i might see you on the rocks!

I certainly agree with freedom when there is a big swell, fairy pools is unfishable, i often surf there and the waves crack right over the rocks ( all green water)

Owen

Freeeedom - Brilliant advice - THANKS!
    It sounds like you fish with minimum lead.
    When spinning with pillies - do you use any lead at all?
    When fishing the bottom do you float it down with minimum lead or simply rig the lead sinker to the bottom of the rig?
    This might sound like a pretty dumb question but do you cast out as far as you can here or how far do I need to get out?
    Is there much of a run (current) at all?

I'm with you on the 1 fish or 15 - I don't go fishing to catch heaps of fish I go for the experience.

R

Freeeedom
    Any other suggestions if the water is too bad?
    R