Thread: Lowrance, Zercom, Ratheon or Garmin

Lowrance, Zercom, Ratheon or Garmin

I am considering a new sounder. It is to achieve high rendition, in mono (colour regretably is discounted because of cost), in the bay out to the nearer outside reefs in SE Queensland generally.

Considered are the Lowrance X85, Zercom 160, Ratheon L470, Garmin 160, 160 Blue, or 240. They are all comparable. The general specs and differences are;

* Lowrance X85 - 375w RMS, dual frequency transducers, speed and temperature, 240 square

* Zercom 160 - eight level grey scale (great rendition), single frequency transducer, slightly cheaper ($700), 500w RMS, rotary controls, speed and temperature, only 160 square

* Ratheon L470 - Dual frequency transducers, side scanner option
    240x 128 wide

* Garmin 160 Blue -Dual frequency transducers, speed and temperature, 500w RMS, only 160 square

* Garmin 240 - 240 square, single frequency, speed and temp included.

The Zercom has good rendition, being eight level greyscale, but only single frequency, the Raytheon has limited display width (pixels), the Garmin 160 Blue has dual frequency but only 160 square, the Garmin 240 has only one frequency. The Eagle's were dismissed because of thier low power (75w RMS)

I have asked Garmin if they would get a 240 Blue into the country for me and are yet to recieve a reply.

If anyone has any experiences of/with Zercom, these would be appreciated. It's a good powerful unit. But how severely is it's operation limited with one frequency?

I am seeking comment on comparison and choice from the above sounders, they are in $700-$900 range. Any other options (or near options in dollar or spec terms) or comments would also be helpful.

Kind regards Trevor

Re: Lowrance, Zercom, Ratheon or Garmin

i'll go with zercom 160
    depandes what type of fishing you do.

BIG BAD BASS 8) 8) 8)

l would go the Garmin 240,sensational unit the power and screen definition it has is great and the best feature of all it is so user friendly even l can use it.

If garmin wasnt an opinion then the lowrance l would buy would be the X85 and nothing under it there is not enough power,just my opinion.

Trav

I use an X85, and couldn't be happier with it. I have put it head to head against an X75 in freshwater, and the 85 picks up thermoclines much more clearly. Being able to distinguish a mini micro mullet behind the downrigger bomb at 50 feet is sensational. It also has the ability to track a shrimp on a jighead at 30 feet. (Just ask Hootie.) The split screen feature is great for Downrigging, and also for tracking the bottom. Go the X85, you won't look back.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Garmin

I am yet to have a run in a boat with a Garmin but they look the goods. 4 Shades of Grey/Blue should help with thermoclines and clutter.

Zercom

I wouldn't be worried about buying the Zercom. Top units but I have only fiddled with the top of the range one not the smaller one. Should go to the top of the list if user simplicity is what you are after.

Raytheon

Raytheon/Apelco/JRC. I am pretty dissapointed with my older JRC-46 unit and the new units don't appear much different with the way the pixels are set up and the way the grey/white-line shows up. I bought mine because it had a tri-ducer and a temperature graph. I think the Lowrances do temperature graphs now.

Lowrance/Eagle.

You won't be dissappointed. Good value for money at the moment with boat show specials etc.

Go with the garmin 240. #Get a Blue if you can. #We ran a Raytheon 470 on our boat and was very disapointed with the overall performance of the sounder. #We have a 240 onboard now and we are going to upgrade to a Blue when they land in the country. #The Garmin has a better resolution and better definition of objects such as bottom structure, thermoclines ( The L470 couldn't pick these up) and the overall detection of objects in the water column.

adrian

most of them would have some type of simulator built in so if possible ask for a demo on each it's an easy way to an idea of what they do