Thread: JRC - Model JFC-55 Echo sounder with track plotter

JRC - Model JFC-55 Echo sounder with track plotter

Help me please ! I have just purchased a fairly old (about 10 years)fish finder as my first ever unit .
    In order for the plotter features to work ,the unit must be connected to a Loran or GPS capable of supplying position information in the form of NMEA0182 or 0183 data via a six pin data connector.
    I have copied this from the manual , but ,I haven't got the faintest idea what this means . The person who sold it to me said all it needed was a special antennae .My technical knowledge is zero and I was hoping someone had the same unit or could tell me what I need to get the plotter feature going .Also if the parts needed are still available .
    Location details on where to mount the transom transducer on a 14ft aluminium tinny would be helpful too thanks.
    Thanks for helping in anticipation,
    John.

Ron_Collins

Re: JRC - Model JFC-55 Echo sounder with track plo

Hi John

I'm not familiar with the unit you've just bought, but the best place for information about JRC products is TMQ Electronics, 18 Alexandra Place Murarrie, phone 07 3890 7788.

Ask for Jim Carlson. Tell Jim that I volunteered him to help you out with details and I'm certain he'll do just that.

If it's possible to do what you want with the unit, he'll tell you, just as he'll tell you if you've wasted your money.

In addition to being an experienced fisho and boatie, Jim's also a well-qualified electronics person. Hope this helps solve the dilemma. Ron Collins.

Thanks for the suggestion Ron . I have emailed Jim with my problem . I would still like to hear from anyone who also has one of these units though,
    Thanks ,
    John.

John, the Loran system doesn't exist here and even if it did it's of times past (and better off left there).

Sounds like all the unit requires is basically a NMEA interface from a GPS, any GPS that is NMEA capable (and all basially are), even a very basic handheld.

The wiring requirements (apart from the power to whatever GPS) is basically 2 wires, GPS data out to Plotter data in and a common ground.

However these days what might be considered a basic GPS would probably be more advanced than 10 year technology? especially if the JRC is only a track plotter as opposed to a chart type system, which is probably is.

Further thoughts added:

When this unit was first released (in about 1991) the price was about $900 and GPS receivers would have been around $2500++ as the GPS system wasn't really operational and generally expensive technology for the average boater in those days, hence the NMEA interface, which could use the "new" GPS technology or the then current Loran system (but not here).

I suppose my thoughts are there really no good reason to want to connect a GPS to this unit as any GPS you would buy today would have much more functionality already built in.

Cheers, Kerry.

#

The sounder part of the old JRC55 weren't too bad but don't bother with the GPS antenna as the smallest plot screen they had was 1 NM which is pretty bad by today's standard. Just go and get a straight GPS track plotter, even a hand held. Separate sounder / GPS is the way to go

Thank you for the advice Kerry and Davo . I will just use the fishfinder ,
    All the best ,
    John.