Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: WHAT sounder & G.P.S. are you using

WHAT sounder & G.P.S. are you using

hi
    i was going to put up a poll but its more a survey as to what every one prefers to use ???

in the process of updating my electronics ???

deep water sounder and agps that can hold plenty on way points ???

"whats the time"

Sportfish_5

Re: WHAT sounder & G.P.S. are you using

I have an X85 Lowrance 50/200 Khz trans and Garmin 126. I have been having a close look at the Raymarine DS400X or 500X for a replacement. They look good for the biccies. The GPS is fine but ideally I would like to get a plotter like the Garmin 176C or the 276C (when it gets here).

Cheers,

Greg

5 .. greg
    i use the same as you now
    "whats the time"

yeh lowrance x85 combined with a eagle gps
    oldies but they still work ok and if i had more money i would upgrade but now going to upgrade the boat insted to a streaker and that comes with lowrance x15mt sounder/gps

Peter, you need a sounder with Big Kahuna's.

HAS to be colour.

I use a Furuno 668 and Garmin 126. will upgrade to the Garmin with Blue Chart soon.

GPS waypoint storage is important, but not as much as a very good plot page/ system. And with the Blue Chart ( as opposed to the C-Map ) contours and water depths are included. This type of unit is a must for deep water.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

phill
    blue and c-map
    they are different
    what garmin model
    just think i once had a furuno663 and gave it away because i thought it was getting too old
    "whats the time"

Quote Originally Posted by snappa
    hi
    .... and a gps that can hold plenty on way points #??? ....
    Like how many waypoints can one actually use or reqiure at once #??? far more important to be able to download/upload/interface whatever unit to a PC.

Cheers, Kerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry

far more important to be able to download/upload/interface whatever unit to a PC.

Cheers, Kerry.

gezz i'm just able to understand how to turn on my computer let alone that things you say that sounded like alian talk to me

when i get my new unit in my new boat i will neeed you to guide me thought all this techno stuff kerry

kerry

computer on board the cat would crack me up
    i guess thats why the gps should be able to hold a lot of way points
    BUGGA i am flat out trying to remember to put my lunch into the boat????
    "whats the time"

just got a huminbird matrix 20 with gps and you can down load and upload from your PC and upgrade the unit when new features are available haven't used it yet but am going to take a spin on the dam very shortly

cheers gary

As Phill said it needs to colour and we use a JRC ff50 which im really impressed with.
    As for a GPS we have been using a Lowrance for many many years and has performed good but we purchased a Garmin 182c last year as we really wanted a GPS with a map so we could check out all the reefs out from Hinchinbrook and it was just a great asset to have in those areas. I even find it to be handy around the bay and offshore. In my opinion blue map are alot better then c-map as far as detail goes and even the rescue guys use them.(so im told) I believe the most important part of a gps and even your fishing is that your unit has a good plot page and u understand how to use it to minimise miss judged anchor drops and scare the crap out of a good show of fish. Pete its best to go and have look at these units and buy what suits you.
    Cheers Greg

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

reefy

ff-50 or a furuno 600 whats you opinion
    i know you are using the ff-50 has it got any short comings
    i have seen and used the 600 .. the one we used last weekend at d/i.
    the gpswe used was agarmin 182 not sure whether it was a c model or not
    it appears to be a good gps and plenty of plot screens and stored info i think?????
    these two units look the part so far

"whats the time"

Snapper,

To poinpoint the sometimes small areas as far as fishing goes you will need a good GPS that will put you spot on the mark. I've talked to guys in the aviation industry and all they use is Garmin.

After sounding around an area and determining what is good & bad ground, you need to then be able to locate what you have determined is good ground so we use a Koden CVS832 sounder which we have found to be reliable in deep water 50/200 HTZ.

Snapper

The only difference between a 182 & a 182C model is the colour.

hey roota

i fished out of d/i last w/e only new to the area and fished in close and went wide later in day
    just learning what is required eg sound around looking and then anchor????

bait what is the best and what are you using???

what bait for reds and do you catch reds during the day or fish nite for them????
    "whats the time"