Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WHAT sounder & G.P.S. are you using

Re: WHAT sounder & G.P.S. are you using

does any one have any maps/gps marks around jacobs well/goldcoast/ area they are willing to share, i dont get down there much and i spend more time trying to find good spots then fishing, i live at warwick so when i do go i dont have a lot of time, PM any info so as not to put it on the board if you like

cheers gary

I use a Navman 450 or should it be try to. Not impressed at all. For Gps use Garmin GPS12 hooked up to Toshiba Libretto laptop running OZIEXPLORER and scanned Qld Transport chartsand some BSB charts downloaded from the net.

I'm using a Humminbird tribeam and a Magellan 315 gps handheld mounted on the dash. Not a flash set up but it works. I'd love to have a colour sounder and plotter but gotta pay the bills...
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

Spotted a Furuno FCV-582L,on a ad 4 Leisure Marine in
    Bush & Beach ,May issue,,,,,,,,, $ 2995
    They seam 2 B going down quiet rapidly & a very good unit....

Quote Originally Posted by Al_Macka
    # #Spotted a Furuno FCV-582L,on a ad 4 Leisure Marine in
    # #Bush & Beach ,May issue,,,,,,,,, $ 2995 #
    # # They #seam 2 B going down quiet #rapidly & a very good unit....
    even down to $2799 at other places.

Cheers, Kerry.

I'm using a GarminMap 76 and Eagle dual freq. sounder (can't remember the model). Both work well but I haven't shelled out the $200-300 for a map yet. Bloody expensive!

G'day all, I use a Matrix 35 sounder the quadrabeam model which is awesome in water up to 160 ft but after that the side structure locating beams have to be turned off but then you have a choice of using 83khz or 200khz beams or a combo view. It also hooks up to my gpsmap60c which is a 256 colour handheld GPS as I need it for hiking etc, it is loaded with bluecharts and is an awesome fishing companion.

The cost was somewhat expensive and I had to do without a few things but well worth it, I could probobly drive blind and not hit a sandbar, bluemaps also have many wrecks and areas of interest well worth going to have a sound over but it has about 62 maps i use all overlap and show different things but that is another ballgame.

guys have just got my hands on the new humminbird matrix 97 color unit ......used it on the weekend out at hutchies and offshore ......extremely impressed .....same deal as gary's ....can up grade software via download on the internet and very simple to use ......great unit worth getting in and having a look at one and well priced!
    regs
    holly

Nothing flash , Lowrance X 51 I think, and for a GPS I use a Magellan Meridian Marine hand held , whish is handy because I can use it anywhere, including driving around in the city or scrub..

As long as you have a sounder with plenty of punch you are set. Must have grey scale if black & white but colour is better of course. A sounder with 300 watt rms has heaps of grunt.
    I took out the deep sea comp for CADAFCA (Cairns and district amature fishing clubs association) using a Garmin FF100blue. I had perfect bottom definition while planing at around 25 mph in 50+ metres of water. the big trick is setting up your transducer. This sounder cost me under $400.
    Good luck with your upgrade
    Alan

Just picked up the Matrix 55 (yes it's grey scale) for $885
    Chart plotter, dual beam sounder, navionics gold cartography
    Instalation is Saturday arvo, testing Sunday (if the bloody rain goes away)

Previous to that was using a Garmin GPS 12 handheld and a Eagle Fish ID 128 (old and cheap, but showed how deep the water was, just)
    Cheers
    Mark

NeilD

A fortnight ago I picked up a Lowrance X125. I can't believe how good a sounder it is for under $500. Every couple of years I go in to buy a new sounder and I am always blown away at the new features, ease of use, definition and improved signal processing in mid range equipment. We still run an old Furuno 663 for reef and deep water work. It still does the job well. GPS is an old Lowrance Globalnav II which is ready for an upgrade probably to something like a Seiwa Tigershark unit.

Cheers Neil

help
    question for ya`s

a mate uses afuruno 600L
    daul freq. color
    i have just seen a furuno LS 6100 color sounder
    ARE THEY THE SAME maybe the 6100 is a later version of the 600 ????
    what power has the 6100 compared to the 600L?????
    if the LS 6100 suits my needs then i have a lowrance X85 for sale around ???? $350
    "whats the time"

Snappa

The LS6100 is a grey line model, and the FCV600L is the colour one almost the same as a LS6100 but with a few more features. Is also around $1000 dearer($1700 or there abouts) than the LS6100.

Regards Andrew

thanks very much andrew
    now i know.
    i`ll wait untill i can manage a color one
    "whats the time"