Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WHAT sounder & G.P.S. are you using

Re: WHAT sounder & G.P.S. are you using

thanks
    "whats the time"

I have now got most of the east coast blue maps in my computer and i can tell you its great. I can enter gps marks, set out trips/routes on the pc and down load it to the gps unit.
    In general its just handy to have the maps to look at and see your fishing spots/areas and even look at depth changes in certain areas which may contain fishing grounds/reef
    Heres one of a few maps that do the fraser area. I can also put my pointer anywhere on the map and it gives me exact gps marks for that spot. I can also zoom up the map to an 80ft radius to look at spots really closely.
    # # # # # # # # # # # # Cheers Greg

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

Pete i havent used a Furuno 600 myself but when we were looking at buying i found the definition to be better on the JRC and easier to read from all angles. I have used rootas sounder and also find it a good sounder and about $400 cheaper.
    # # # # # # # # # # # #Cheers Greg
    Pete Reds will take anything at anytime but you just need lots of luck mate and the right grounds. Big baits big hooks are best

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

reefy

how do you get the blue maps into the pc
    if i was to get a blue map burrow how????
    "whats the time"

A kind friend had bought the cd rom so he could download the charts into his gps and kindly gave the disk to me to download into my pc. I think it cost over $300 just for 1 unlock code to do an area but the disk has all maps on it

reefy
    arrrrrrr a friend of mine has the same program how i come to think about it
    how good i will find out in the next couple of days

downloading/ up loading a gps doesnt need any power on the unit????

"whats the time"

G'day Snapper,if comparing the Furuno FCV 600 L to the JRC FF 50,you should take into consideration that the Furuno is only 350 watts(maybe 300 watts) compared to the JRC's 600 watts,they both have the same pixel count,same size screen,between these two I would choose the JRC.On my boat I run a lowrance Global Map 1600 with my local chart,prety average unit but gets the job done and has excellent waranty.For a sounder I've got a Furuno FCV 582 L with an Airmar P66 Triducer,in my opinion it's prety hard to beat for a recreational unit.

I have a Garmin 126 GPS, and the Matrix 125 sounder, plug them together to get a 3d (isometric) view on the Matrix. plus have the barometer module too

Quote Originally Posted by snappa
    just think i once had a furuno663 and gave it away because i thought it was getting too old
    my boats got a 663 and a furuno navigator,
    might be a bit old but it's still pumping out a
    nice picture.

Peter
    I just purchased a Raymarine LC 435 Plotter and a Navman 4500 Sounder I haven't used them yet but they appear to be quality units.
    Wayne

bidkev

Furuno GP 1650WF Plotter/Sounder.

My first post here at ausfish related to some trouble that I was having with it. An intermittent fault whereby the alarm kept sounding and a messaging of internal battery low. When returned after 3 weeks (under warranty) it was "fixed" to become a permanent fault. :-)

There wasn't even an invoice saying what the fault was!

Anyway, I went off at 'em saying that we weren't pissing around with 3 hundred bucks worth of hummingbird here, I was 3 grand light and wanted some satisfaction pretty quick. They've put a new PBS in it now, and I'm about to test it this arvo.

Been a cracker though, whilst it was working.......first time I've seen prawns on a sounder and didn't even realise that a sounder was good enough to pick 'em up.

kev

Quote Originally Posted by snappa
    kerry

computer on board the cat would crack me up
    i guess thats why the gps should be able to hold a lot of way points
    BUGGA i am flat out trying to remember to put my lunch into the boat????
    On board computer? no not in your context but that's really the direction things are going. No the computer upload/download is really a must reagrdless of what type of GPS/plotter it is. As when something goes a little astray (for whatever reason) if the "lot" are sitting solely in a GPS you will loose the lot.

"But able to hold a lot of waypoints" #??? but just how many waypoints do you really need or better still how many do you really use, think about it.

The more waypoint storage units have the more crap people tend to put/store in them.

Really most units come with far more waypoints anyway than most require.

downloading/ up loading a gps doesnt need any power on the unit
    it does, no power, no work

Cheers, Kerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbird
    Snapper
    The only difference between a 182 & a 182C model is the colour.
    And the difference a "C" makes

a bit over twice the price

And

different screen sizes

And

different screen resolution

And

about a 3 fold difference in power consumption

Cheers, Kerry.

Barrymundi

I have a Navman 5600 Colour Plotter with C-Map and User card with user card and PC Planner for the home computer. Plotter is good, PC Planner is crap, the new upgrade should fix the minor problems.

Sounder is a Furuno 582 FCV 16 Colour thing, very nice unit. The price in Australai for these is starting to drop.

I have owned a Lowrance LMS350A Plotter Sounder for last 8 years before this upgrade. Very Good package

The Navman and Furuno were purchased from the States saving about 30% on the retail price here. The service I was offered in Townsville when I wnet to buy local was pathetic so I went overseas. Warranty is the risk. The Navman was purchased in the states and shipped direct from New Zealand.

Alan

lowrance lci 15ci.....color with gps.....great unit..
    download a working simulator at

http://www.lowrance.com/Software/PCSoftware/demos.asp