Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3G Mobiles have GPS

3G Mobiles have GPS

Hey Guys,

I'm about to upgrade my phone to one of the Motorola 3 phones with an inbuilt GPS, should be interesting to see how well it works.

Has anyone else tried this?

Re: 3G Mobiles have GPS

I think you will find it cost you to use the gps

Quote Originally Posted by bungie
    I think you will find it cost you to use the gps
    Cost to use? what do you mean?

Cheers, Kerry.

Top Ender,

Seriously and I mean really seriously - if you have the option of not going with 3 then take it..

I have one for work and I would trade it in a second. Their network coverage is hopeless and the drop outs are just too frequent and constant to make it worth while. If you have a bad temper your phone will be part of the wall in no time. If you use it for business then it could be costing you money.

There are also serious issues with the message bank service and the actual 3 service doesn't work all the time even though you're in the coverage zone and your phone is telling you that it can be accessed.

I can't wait until our next big deal with Telstra to get a real phone again.

Bugman

G'Day Brett,

Unfortunately mate its too late for me to stay away from 3... they have me by the short and curly's. I've got the e808 now.. and i tell ya what i've thought about using it as a sinker a few times now.

Ah well... this new phone won't cost me any more than it is now, and apparently it has a GPS thing...

CHRIS_aka_GWH

two emloyees here concur with Brett.

Any 3g phones that come for a ride to spot x will be going to the bottom, telstra still allowed

haha yeah don't worry Rob i've already considered sending mine to the bottom as some weight on a line then just telling Club Marine it was pinched while i got the trailer... reckon they'd cover the cost of a replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry

Cost to use? what do you mean?

Cheers, Kerry.
    Think you will find 3 charges you to access the GSP network via the phone

Top Ender

What model phone are you getting ??

Not trying to be smart but are you sure the phone has built in GPS and not GPRS capable.
    GPS - Globas Positioning Sysytem
    GPRS - General Packet Radio Service - a high speed way of sending / receiving data (pics, email, mobile internet etc) over the mobile phone network. Basicly the data is split into packets and sent over the network
    Cheers
    Mark

Nah its all good, i know what you mean about the GPS/GPRS thing... It has what is called A-GPS or Assisted GPS. Basically its a GPS that provied your location on a map that it uses GPRS to download. Currently 3G Australia don't support the downloading thing but with aftermarket software you can get a track, and so on...

Its the Motorola A925.

Top Ender

Cool, my understanding of A-GPS(didn't think of that at first, have that on my Kyocera CDMA) is that it provides the location of your handset to emergncy services when used on a network that supports the technology, of which there currently are none in Australia.
    If you can download software that enables you to gat a track, position etc that could be handy.
    Cheers
    Mark

Yeah that was the same understanding i had from reading a little about it but since reading stuff from Motorola and so on, its more for locating where you are on a provided map. So you could call up a map of Hervey Bay and see that you're on the esplanade in Scarness... from there you could work out how to get to the boat harbour.

Unfortunately though, Australia (in their infinite wisdom) don't support it. But with the aftermarket software you can view a breadcrumb trail of where you've been.

Big_Kev

Quote Originally Posted by mackmauler
    Any 3g phones that come for a ride to spot x will be going to the bottom, telstra still allowed
    Nah no good for sinkers Rob, shit like that floats.

Sportfish_5

Maybe they could transfer some video from underwater

Is Mr P. Perch home ? 8) 8)

Greg