Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Digital Camera's

Re: Digital Camera's

make sure you get some optical zoom
    digital zoom is just a waste of time

I've got a Fuji Finepix S304. 3.2 megapixel with 6x optical zoom.

As vertico said, digital zoom aint worth squat.

The camera actually has 2 setting for 3.2 megapixel, it has a fine mode.

Could not be happier with the camera.

Only suggestion I would make is to go for the camera that has the highest optical zoom, for the megapixel range you are looking at.

Also rechargable batteries are a god send. Normal batteries were lasting 2 days max, since getting a set of 1700mAh batteries, I only need to charge them once a month.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Ive got a canon digital ixus 3.2
    it has 3 x optical and 2 x digital (digital zoom is disabled though)
    digital zoom is disabled because it is rubbish no matter what they tell you at the shop
    Try get atleast 2x or 3x and 2 megapixel and you will be laughing
    I take all my photos at max res / quality and then reduce them down later for posting

HI While where on the subject of digitials, i have a sony dsc p31, it takes great day time shots, but at night when i do most of my fishing, taking photos and using the flash, most of my photos come out or the fish look pretty sick looking and all lit up, and cannot seem to get their colour showing properley.
    I have just learnt that im takeing my photo at too small a size, but will by increaseing the size at night help stop fish llooking enimic looking, or is it just the operator.
    Does anyone else have this problem at night.
    regards

Hi Webby
    What i find with my camera is that when there is not enough light the camera refuse to take pic, so i find a better light sourse about the same distance away and focus camera and then, while holding my focus button realine my shot and then press the shutter right down, probably makes no sense
    cheers
    blaze

Webby,

There is a simple trick to overcome that problem.

Shine a torch on the subject. Then the camera has something to focus on. You then get a clean, focused picture [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

As an example
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

and another.

Both fish were released btw.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

i currently use a KODAK ls633 wich i purchased from ebay for $175au brand new ( from someone in melbourne ) it has a retail tag of over $500..
    I like the fact it comes with a lithium ion battery and charger #wich lasts over 200 photos with flash ..

I will look at getting a printer dock for the camera wich i think makes it all too easy!!

It pays too look at ebay but personally i wouldnt buy any of the untrust worthy brands..

check the camera here : http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_AU

it takes good quality pics.

i guess it all comes down to what you will use it for and you personal prefrences..

For the night photos its handy if you can reduce the intensity of the flash. The fish is shiny and you're not, so the light intensity will be automatically adjusted for one of you, usually not ideal for either. One way to get the fish looking the best is by zooming in on the actual fish or at least making it a larger part of your picture (without getting too close). The automatic programs seldom handle a mixed image like this too well and you have to start playing with the manual settings.
    Another trick on some cameras is to try to light up the situation with any other lights you have available so that the flash is not providing all the light.

With focus a lot of units also have an LED mounted that emits a beam of light during focusing in the dark so that it has something to focus on, so I'm with Heath there if it doesn't use the torch.
    At least with digital its easy & cheap to experiment.

If the first shot dosent come out , try try again it dosent cost anything

I'm just about to buy a Fuji Finepix S5000

10x Optical Zoom
    2.2x Digital zoom
    3.1 megapixel (using interpolating can do 6.2megapixel)
    Full Manual options
    Additional lenses

This thing is pretty cool.. it has a light sensor for poor lighting. It uses a green beam of light to light up the source and has all the options for really getting a clear picture. It has the ability to use a wide angle and a telephoto lense.

Not bad for $579.

Hey Topender,
    Ive got the S5000 and its great. Excellent value for money.
    Shop around, i pair 540 about three months ago at Retravision on the Gold Coast. Shopped more and got the big 240 card for about $140 i think.
    Bought an aftermarket polarising lense, and a good camera bag which also houses my handheld GPS, spare batteries, and other lenses.
    Couldnt be hapier, love that optical zoom!
    Regards
    Darren

Cheers Darren... thats what i wanted to hear. Its all well and good to read these reviews on camera sites but ya have to wonder about kickbacks. At least now a few people who use the things say they're good.

I've managed to find one for $549 plus i'll get a 256mb card, telephoto lens, polarising filter, tripod, and big camera bag plus about a dozen batteries (3 sets)