Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Humminbird side imaging 900's

New Humminbird side imaging 900's

Has anybody bought or have any opinion of the new 900 series Humminbird units with the side imaging feature? The screen shots I have seen in their advertising look awesome.

I know I will probably cop a barrage here for daring to ask about Humminbirds from all the Lowrance only people.

Anyway, cat amongst the pidgeons and all that.

Re: New Humminbird side imaging 900's

I looked on the internet for prices on these units and found an interesting one. The price for the Hummingbird 937 on this site is $2420 and a local boat dealer is approx. $3300. Big difference!

http://www.#############.com/fish_fi...humminbird.htm

They might be an importer but I will call them tomorrow to sus them out

The units look pretty flash.

cheers
    Raymond

Raymond

How did you go on the evaluation of the Humminbird????

Was it just BS. or a genuine offer.

Would like to know as I not long ago picked up a 97x with all 3x transducers only to be told that TRUE "Side Imaging" is only available in the 900 Series.

Mike

G'day,

Check out this thread for valuable info re the new 900's

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfis...num=1141368929

Cheers
    "This space is saved for my next special catch"
    "Rainy" Haines Hunter 540C Yamaha 130 HPDI
    28lb King Salmon
    18lb Steelhead (Rainbow) Trout
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

Mike,

Called David from ###### Imports and he in an importer of marine electronics. He also sells through EBay etc. The biggest point to be made regarding Humminbird is that if you import from the states then measurements will be in imperial which is a big negative in my books.

Also, if you read the fine print from his web site is states that we would have to send the unit back to US for any warranty claims and it would cost us approx. $75.00 for delivery.

I have gone off the idea, mainly due to the imperial measurement issue.

cheers
    Raymond

Just wondering which is better the Hummingbird 987cSI or the 981cSI?
    Was looking at them and the 987Csi seemed to have more buttons on the unit, but apart from the additional GPS is there any other differences?

Cheers,
    Huey

Quote Originally Posted by drdonjuan9
    Just wondering which is better the Hummingbird 987cSI or the 981cSI?
    Was looking at them and the 987Csi seemed to have more buttons on the unit, but apart from the additional GPS is there any other differences?

Cheers,
    Huey
    The extra buttons on the 987 are the:
    Go To
    Mark
    Info
    Zoom In
    Zoom Out

These are for the chartplotter part of the 987.
    The Zoom In & Zoom Out buttons also work on the sonar zoom.

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

To resurrect an old thread……………I have a 797, basically the smaller model of the 997, and it is the ducks nuts for quickly finding and marking submerged structure. An absolute must for the Barra fisherman! Once I got interpretation down pat I wondered how I had got on with out it!

I was wondering has anyone that has a side imager had a scan about Jindabyne Lake or the old bridge above Providence on Eucumbene?
    Interested to see any images from these lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
    To resurrect an old thread……………I have a 797, basically the smaller model of the 997, and it is the ducks nuts for quickly finding and marking submerged structure. An absolute must for the Barra fisherman! Once I got interpretation down pat I wondered how I had got on with out it!

I was wondering has anyone that has a side imager had a scan about Jindabyne Lake or the old bridge above Providence on Eucumbene?
    Interested to see any images from these lakes.
    Do these hummingbirds work from a helicopter or plane
    Because thats the only way of getting a scan of the bridge ....... no water for many many Ks
    Here is a photo looking towards the bridge (you can see the cars in the distance) .. Nagg
    Attachment 20037Attachment 20038

My Matrix 37X has side imaging, useless for my type of fishing maybe ok in a lake or something.
    Furuno is the way to go but yep those 3D picks look cool.

The Humminbird 997 side imaging units work as advertised except it has been my opinion that the side imaging does not work as well in much more than 25 or 30 meters. I would say if you are fishing in water shallower than 25 or 30 meters you would benefit from the side imaging.

Alot search and rescue operations here in the US is using the Humminbird side imaging units in their underwater searches instead of the towed array side scanning sonars which speaks volumes about what these people think of the Humminbird side imaging sonar.

Ausfish Sponsor

My mate sent me this pic of a boat trailer that was under water at the boat ramp on his humminbird.. they work pretty well..

A mate of mine in Cairns has one of those units, he was rather pissed off when he found they don't show fish on them, He said they only read a solid form and don't show fish swim bladers at all. Is that correct?
    As for buying US and the warrenty situation, I'd do it at a seconds notice. The buck you save will well and truly out weigh any transport costs. Mine were $35 and had the unit back in 7 days.
    Mitch

Can you get it to display in metric Mitch?
    And BTW it certainly does show fish.
    Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Delisser; 07-02-2008 at 09:33 PM.

You cannot get the imported ones to display metric - only feet - don't find it a problem personally.
    Now I'm used to I find the side imaging amazing but I am also not sure about the 2D sonar - just never seem to see any fish arches !!
    ... there is a section on this on the hummingbird website which gives a list of things to check and sensitivies etc to change .... haven't nutted it out yet and don't know if it's just me
    jim