Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Hand Held GPS - Combination Land and Marine

Re: Hand Held GPS - Combination Land and Marine

Satnav,

I think you will find that diferenetial GPS is accurate to a few feet. My Garmin manual states, Position accuracy:

1 - 5 m (3-17ft) with DGPS
    15 m (49ft) RMS.

Even the latter is plenty enough for fishing, even for pin point anchoring on wrecks. The standard procedure is to do a sounder seach when you hit the waypoint. In most cases you will be close to spot on and anyway you always have to adjust you position on the day for the prevailing wind and current.

billfisher, The original statement was in relation to a standard GPS72 so there was no intention of dealing with DGPS. I believe Garmin might not even make a beacon receiver or built-in DGPS model these days. Most are DGPS capable but without a Beacon receiver they don't do much at all.

DGPS is better spec'd at 3-5 metres 95% of the time, less than 10 metres most of the time and if it's over 10 metres then if your using DGPS for the reasons of requiring DGPS integrity then it's something you want to know about and something the system will alert to.

15 metres is certainly plenty enough for fishing and more like the figure one should expect some of the time.

Bundy_Burp

1. Bundy Bear? Then do you think the early 1s were the problem, the system was the problem or perhaps the user was the problem?

2. Getting you to your favoriate fishing spot all the time? Do you think that will occur ALL the time or perhaps you don't really use the system enough to know what really can occur?

3. I could be rather cycinical here Bundy bear and say that people have actually lost their lives because they did not fully understand the system they were relying on, ALL the time. #

4. Perhaps it is better that you say nothing? In the interests of others.

Bundy_Burp

Sounds to me like the last time SatNav used his GPS to go fishing all he caught was a Bad Attitude must have been a decent size though because he obviously didnt throw it back .
    SatNav take a Chill Pill and get a life .

#Oooops , sorry, better off without that.

I had a look at some colour mapping handhelds yesterday, the Garmin 60cx and Etrex Legend cx. The etrex was smaller with a smaller screen but it fits nicely in your hand, screen is easy to see and not too small, and battery life is excellent. I had a play around on it in the shop. I also looked at the 60cx, the body of it is slightly longer than the legend cx and slightly wider, but the screen is a fair amount larger and it was able to get a good GPS fix inside the shop whereas the legend cx couldn't get a fix. They were both very easy to use, though the button layout on the 60cx was better and it had a better antenna too. Their screens were easy to see, even easier to see with the backlight on because the shop wasn't very brightly lit. I reckon I will go for the 60cx because it has a bigger screen, heaps better reception and easier to use button layout. That said, if I was given a legend cx I wouldn't say no to it and they're both great units. I plan to get the 60cx from the USA for under $500AUD hopefully. Cheers, Joey.

After reading the posts that people have made (having a good chuckle along the way) it seems that people have been side tracked from the first question that "Blackened" made.
    I know stuff all about GPS's, so I am no guru and don't pretend to be either. "Blackened" can the unit you have do what your mate requires? If not, why not contact Magellan and talk to them and see what they can do to help. Different brand? Try the Garmin site, ring and talk to them with your requirements. Once you have decided on brand and model which is a personal issue, come back here and see what experiences people have had with that model and maybe then make that final decision?
    I hope I haven't offended anyone but it is that simple isn't it?

G'day
    Hahaha damn i thought this post was dead and buried
    Thanks for the heads up mudgecko, all has been sorted now as far as the rello is concerned. Glad you liked the laugh
    Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

I thougt it was D&B too,

what did your rello finish up with??

Muzz

G'day
    The best option was to go for a navman trackfish 6500?, as it's a dedicated marine unit and he was also upgrading the sounder. It's cheaper to go a seperate dedicated land based unit aswell. Line one of the navman icn series or the like.
    Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

1. The good old few feet claim is always good for a laugh

1. Back to you rabbit

Bundy_Burp

The I can get this close with my GPS is always quite funny but it would appear to me that there are a lot of people out there who think its more funny too see what bait makes what creature bite be it animal or human the right bait will always get a reaction .

I reckon that SatNav is the best 'Fisherman' here.......

Hook, Line and Sinker.......... Well done, some fine catches.