Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hand Held GPS - Combination Land and Marine

Re: Hand Held GPS - Combination Land and Marine

Well, all very interesting reading, but I am not sure if anyone has really learned a lot here. The post went way off the original question and resulted in bad blood.

A couple of observations from me:

Satnav may not really know a lot about GPS but merely conducting searches on the Web and quoting technical data that sounds flash but says nothing. The majority of his posts are like this with added antaganistic remarks.

We all like to think we know a little bit about our chosen recreational hobby (fishing) and want to pass on that knowledge to others on this site. If it eventuates that we were wrong, it does not matter and should not dent the ego, we learn and we go on.

I have noticed a few posts recently end with members having dented egos and harsh words exchanged, this detracts from the site and its purpose (my opinion).

Regards, Mick

fishingnottake

Quote Originally Posted by SatNav

5. Second rule rabbit is that when your wrong then at least admit it
    see that's where you;re striking problems satnav, now if you'd only embrace your own doctrine we'd get somewhere instead of you spouting the same unsubstantiated drivel as usual,

fishingnottake

had to edit fishenmick said the similar thing i did in relation to your continued armchair expert spouting. just did a better job than i did.
    ash

1. Subzero, A student who wishes to learn will listen and not continually interupt with meaningless side tracking talk

2. Subzero, There would appear to be a total unacceptance by some here and these same people really don't want to know

1. So rabbit do please tell why I get this impression that if someone is not a fisherman they don;t know what they are talking about, this is a hypothetical question to say the least

2. Rabbit you continue with your bad attitude by your comment "So how about it, do you fish or just fish here???" Your continual arogrance will not affect me in any way but it will continually be thrown back in your face.

3. Good point Richo1, some should defalte their ego's and their attitudes

"Satnav may not really know a lot about GPS but merely conducting searches on the Web and quoting technical data that sounds flash but says nothing."

1. fishenmick, Might he just now? It's people like you that make comments like that can be made to look awfully stupid

"embrace your own doctrine we'd get somewhere instead of you spouting the same unsubstantiated drivel as usual"

2. fishingnotaken, the only problem with your misguided thoughts is that I can substantiate everything I have said, this is the only way to do things otherwise people like yourself will attempt to make smart irrelevent responses that serve no purpose

Enough,
    What I really want to know , is are there any other recommendations for a dual capability portable unit, and what will it cost.
    all the rest is blah blah blah.
    rando

This all reminds me of an article I read on teaching Birds to talk. (I actualy found it rather amusing and it has always stuck in my head).

In the 1800's the Aristocratic English had a fascination with Egypt and all things that it encompassed.
    Many would travel there with their pith helmets and servants in tow, returning with momento's and antiquitys after having "roughed it" doing the exploration thing.

One of the key things to bring home to impress the less fortunates were Alexandrine Parrots.
    Once home these Aristocrats would get their servants to sit with their "Loved" birds and try to teach them to talk. To acheive this they would repeat the words they wanted the bird to say.... over and over... In between each "Hello Polly" if the bird did not immediately learn and respond with the requested words, he was hit over the head with a big stick each time.
    All this really acheived was a high death rate and almost the extinction of Alexandrine parrots , a lot of very frightened birds many incapable of learning anything with induced brain damage, and the very rare but occassional bird that may have learned to talk using the "Big stick method" (He probably would have learned to talk sooner and better without being absolutely petrified).
    I can draw paralels with this post

I now gracefully bow my head and withdraw from this conversation
    Cheers Lloyd
    P.S Look after your Parrots before they fall of their perch with tough love

Subbie,

I did a search on google regarding that story and couldnt find anything to substantiate.

I am not saying it didnt happen, but I just cannot find anything that confirms it.

I think it would be a fantastic thing to put on the fridge for my Mrs

Back to the subject in the 1800's did the English use GPS to get to Egypt and back?

If so what brand because they would have needed one that was a combination land and marine.

Bit of information: I have have been reading that some phone companies are slowly introducing mobile phones with GPS. Hopefully they will do this task..

Simmo

SatNav,
    I am stunned that you accuse me of being continually arrogant, you totally rejected a question from Ida.
    If I am the arrogant one in the conversation, why have I continually stated that I was not interested in an arguement??? If the tone had softened, perhaps lots of us would have a much better understanding of what you are trying to say.
    I am here to learn what ever another member is prepared to share with me, & hopefully, I have something to offer in return.
    I have conceded several times already that your comments have been sound, of course if you are working with precision instruments, your experience is far different to mine.

I've had enough of it,

I still recommend Garmin72 as a good, affordable unit for the average bloke who cant find his own driveway.

Muzz

Guys guys relax... Satnav just needs some love and encouragement...

I aint a religious man but one thing I have learnt is to treat your brother as you would want then to treat you my fishing friends...

He was a fisher of men... kinda same as us...

Ok I am talking crap.

You know XXXX Special Brew is goooood!

Can I say that here?

Simmo.

I was thinking about putting a cigarette lighter socket in my boat so I can use my hand held GPS (Garmin 72). I am a bit concerned about this. Is it possible to get special marine ones? A stardard car type socket must be very prone to corrosion. How do you wire it up? Is it worth putting a switch on it? i am a bit worried about having a constantly 'live' socket on a boat.

I looked up Lowrance Aust, they seem to have a large range of handheld units as well but i could not find any easily accessable info on whether they can be used as both maritime and terrestrial units.
    Does anyone know which Lowrance unit will do both jobs.

G'day Billfisher.
    Yes you can get specified marine cigarette lighter connections. Any of the larger chandleries should have them. I would suggest putting in a switch so that you can cut the power to it when not in use. I run my sounder through a seperate switch. With the first one i didnt, and found the power cable corroding out. They are extremely easy to wire up, just connest positive and negative into your existing system.
    Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

billfisher, I have been through the car cigarette lighter thing, a marine one should be heaps better, but I finished up cutting open the lead & creating a direct connection to 12v using bullet conectors ( with separate fuse), this works really well. Easy to plug up or remove & the lighter connection still works in the car.

Just how I did it.

Muzz