Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $1000 Color sounder  which one

Re: $1000 Color sounder #which one

Davo look at the link on the top of the page lots of different screens displayed. One thing to look at is the screen clarity of the new furunos no interference just fish, very evident in the screen shot Smithy posted of the perlies you can just about count how many on the screen. Andrew

Photo is not brilliant (working on my photography skills..) but clarity of unit is dead set awesome.

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB
    The difference is the software that chooses how to display the pixels and why. Just because it has a high resolution is not a determing factor to a better sounder. Software interpretation of what the transducer is sending back is very important.
    Software makes a difference to all applications but resolution makes a HUGE difference when running graphics programs. This difference is like trying to use Photoshop on a 800x600 screen vs using a 19" LCD. The virtical pixel difference is 50% higher on the Lowrance (480 vs 320) which means at a depth of say, 30m, there are 16 pixels/m on the Lowrance and 10.5 on the others. At this depth and beyond I don't know how anyone could determine the fish species by a colour range unless we are talking about REALLY BIG fish and even then I reckon it'd be an educated guess based upon lots of experience on a particular spot.

My disclaimer is I don't have a colour sounder (an X135 which gives me a heap of info in B&W) but I've been on other boats with colour (Lowrance and Furuno included) and can't say I've seen anything startling other than they are a lot prettier. I will also invest in colour the next time I need an upgrade but hopefully this is a couple of years (and some quantum leaps in technology) away.

Thanks guys for all your responses. Will wait for the boat show and get the best deal I can. Leaning towards the furuno 620. Compared a few of the units today side by side and was pretty impressed.

Foggy

One thing to add to the pixel debate. If you have a unit with excellent definition etc... but slightly less pixels it's still no disadvantage anyway because you just use the zoom. Some of the older Humminbirds were classics because all they did was repeat the reading but instead of using extra resolution you just got bigger steps on the zoom page. Totally useless.

Whiteman, in blunt terms what i was trying to point out is, you can have all the resolution in the world but if the unit displays the wrong interpretation what good is it? I think some brands use thier colours more effectivly to highlight specific echo's and thier intensity. For example the lowrance might use all 16 px in black to distinguish a big fish echo, where a FF50 might use 5 red and 4 yellow, which doesnt sound like a big deal here but when you look at consistant shows over time, the colours start to become readable, i.e. fish types / schools become recognisable.

Im not by any means an expert, i've only just got colour myself , but i have put some time and research into asking others how they rate thier sounders and why. Maybe a better response from somebody like Reefmaster might be able to explain how an FF50 or a Furuno outperforms a unit like a lowrance with higher resolution.

At the end of the day, you certainly wouldnt complain with either unit comared with what was around 10 years ago!

Forgot to add great pics. Looks like neck and neck Raymarine/Furuno.
    Anymore info on Navman 4500. I've heard both good and bad?????

http://www.marinews.com/electronic_t...ing.php?cID=44

Some reviews there davo. Unfortunately you need a login or the magazine to see the one you want, the review of the 620 has a photo (in magazine) of both the 4500 navman and 620 fcv sounding the same show, very good comparision.

Talking to Birdy at sundown about the new series Furuno's in manual they have easier tunability, but in his words "You have to stay on them".

The Raymarine unit functions perfectly in auto mode, there are a couple of setting, cruising, trolling and fishing...I've yet to really need to tune it manually and hte next few photo's give the clarity of structure, bait and fish

If I was to have to replace my unit i'd go for the same thing again...bang for buck I reckon the raymarine is up there with the best

Cheers
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

pic2
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

pic 3
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

I reckon you'd be very happy with either the new 620 furuno or the Raymarine for the $$$'s you have available

cheers

rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

I think it will be a Raymarine. The size comes in to it also. I noticed that the readings were all in 50Khz what about the 200Khz pics?

G'day Davo...don't have any 200 khz pics...I just leave it in fishing auto mode and let the sounder work it out...semms to work fine for me

Cheers

Rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Revs just so im reading those pics right...

The Light blue is Bait fish/junk in the water eg small stuff?
    Orange/yellow shows small/med fish?
    Red shows are bigger fish?
    Red bottom means its a hard bottom yea?

That about right? Sorry ive never used colour so just trying to learn abit more about it.

Joe