Thread: colour sounder v furuno 6100

colour sounder v furuno 6100

what could a colour sounder show you that would allow more fish to be caught then the furuno 6100 [monochrome]# #was going to sell mine for colour but why after using it half doz; times and reading the reports on it plus learning how to get best from it [has a lot of features] i,m thinking that for a heap more money i would only gain a screen full of pretty colours

DaneCross

Re:  colour sounder v furuno 6100

Go the colour so I can buy your Furuno

Wayneoro, mate I just replaced my LS6000, which was the model prior to the 6100 (similar specs) with a new FCV 585 and there is just no way I can compare the performance of the 2 units. Obviously for a start the new one is ALOT more dollars but as far as performance goes, I am seeing things now that I would never have dreamnt of seeing before.With the 6000, if I had the gain turned right up and was travelling just above idle I MAY see a bit of a show of bait or fish in 50m of water. With the new unit I am seeing good shows of bait at 30km/h and when you slow down a bit the sounder just lights up with all sorts of colourful things that are fish, and now I am catching these fish that I did not even no were there before. As far as finding new ground goes, with the 6000 I really struggled and was therefore fishing the same areas time after time but now if I know I am in the general area of a reef I have no trouble finding my own spots and fish. I personally wish I had of upgraded years ago to something more powerful but the dollars are the consideration.
    Good luck in your decision
    Lee
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Re: #colour sounder v furuno 6100

I was also a believer in B & W until I went out with a mate with a Furuno FCV 585, Could not beleive the performance, ended up buying one the next week and have not looked back. I can agree Lee in the performance at speed in helping to find new ground.

Re: #colour sounder v furuno 6100

performance at speed is purly on hull design and set up # #i have seen the 6100 on a glass boat performing well at 30mph # #on my ribbed tinnie with stabilizers 9mhp is it #the 6100 is a upgrade on 6000 performance between b/w and colour with the same transducer and power cant be any diff; except one displays in b/w the other colour i had a fuso 609 colour sounder [top stuff] and loved it but the 6100 b/w is clear and definitive the seperation of reef and fish its black and white there is no doubt in what you are seeing # it has a 6in lcd display white line a scope etc #etc #i advertised it for sale week back # # then reality hit home # #guess i was bedazzled by all the pretty colours

Your right, depends a lot on what people are comparing the colour sounders to. Seeing heaps more fish in 50+M of water could mean that the new sounder has a bit more grunt and is not losing the signal as easy. You need to compare apples with apples. If your B&W set has good power output and high resolution then I don't think you will gain a lot, not enough to justify the cost of a new colour unit. Having said that, there is no freakin' way that I'm trading my fcv-620 on any B&W unit

Dave.