Thread: Using Nema 2000 to read Mercury 60 hp engine data on Lowrance HDS system

Using Nema 2000 to read Mercury engine data on Lowrance HDS system

Last time i sort of looked into this it appeared to be quite complicated (need a Mercury Engine Data Gateway Module and possibly other items as well ) and appeared to be a bit $ exe to make happen on a Lowrance HDS for what limited data you can get to show from a Merc 60 Hp 4 stroke - so does anyone actually have this happening and can give some guidance on maybe how to actually do it (preferably without costing an arm and a leg)

cheers

Re: Using Nema 2000 to read Mercury 60 hp engine data on Lowrance HDS system

As far as I know, you’ll need the Mercury Interface Cable which is $$$ (about $550 iirc) which is the costliest piece :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes but think i may need both - i.e the Merc Gateway (about $550) or similar item to connect to the Nema 2000 system (it converts the merc engine data signals to nema 2000 info) plus an interface cable with the right plugs to actually connect it to the Merc EFI engine ( another $ ?? ) - but i may have that wrong so any experienced knowledge or help would be appreciated

cheers

Well done a bit more research on this (and fast losing interest) as would need a Smartcraft Gateway about $550 plus a Merc Data Harness (M & M ) about $175 and all i can then read off the Merc 60 hp EFI via a Nema 2000 read out is the Engine Diagnostics ; Battery Voltage ; Fuel Flow ; Engine Hours and RPM and i have some of that available now with the standard gauges - if it had Oil Pressure and Engine Temp read outs certainly may be worth it but nope those important read outs are only available on bigger EFI Mercs over 75 hp - so have put this up for others info

cheers

Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

No idea if your motor is capable but i went out with a 150 tiller and the guy had it all bluetoothed to his phone. Had lots of data. Can you put a Bluetooth module in instead of cables etc?

yea i think i can but again need to get a Merc module called "Vessel View Mobile" ($400 approx ) to do that but will still only read the limited data listed above as thats all the Merc 40 - 60hp EFI of my vintage (2012) puts out - bit ordinary actually when compared to the more comprehensive engine data read outs available on Yamaha , Suzuki , Honda etc of the same size and vintage

https://ww2.lowrance.com/Global/Lowr...Guide_3401.pdf

cheers

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en-gb/...mobile-device/

ok just an update for any others who may have 40 - 60 HP EFI Merc OBs - it appears Lowrance info re what data can be read on a HDS and or via Nema 2000 may be a bit out of date or just incorrect - one of the Mercury Dealers sent me this info so it appears Engine Temp is available but not Oil Press / Temp
    ( but still not certain that this applies to my 2012 OB and not just to the current versions )image001.png

Good luck , i was very disappointed with the available data from my 60 merc (four stroke) to the mercury smart craft gauges, I was sold on smart craft when i had an opti 90hp and the data avaible was really good and useful , no such luck with the 60 f/s seems mercury doesn't think 60hp owners would need that level of data.

was not happy....... loved the motor just not the tech support.

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Good luck , i was very disappointed with the available data from my 60 merc (four stroke) to the mercury smart craft gauges, I was sold on smart craft when i had an opti 90hp and the data avaible was really good and useful , no such luck with the 60 f/s seems mercury doesn't think 60hp owners would need that level of data.

was not happy....... loved the motor just not the tech support.

BigE
    What data was noticeably missing?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJaybird View Post
    What data was noticeably missing?

i think you will find that engine temperature (although engine temp may now be available on the more current models ) ; plus oil pressure; and oil temperature to mention 3 key ones may not be available as a readout on the smartgauges and / or via the mercury gateway on the slightly older 40 - 60 hp range as the 40 - 60 merc OB dont transmit that data to smartgauges or the merc gateway - - i am still trying to discover if any of those options are available to be viewed from slightly older 40 - 60 hp OB s on the new "vessel view mobile" connector to a smart phone - but as yet Mercury have not responded to my emailed query

cheeers

No fuel data
    No temp data (water or oil)
    No pressure data (oil)
    No guardian fault codes
    No engine trim data

just the small things ...LOL,

BigE

Hi mate, I know this is an old post however how did you go with this and which way did you end up going? I for one will NEVER buy another Mercury OB again. They sting ya at every turn, I have a 60hp and went the gateway route as the vessel view was way to expensive, and not disappointed however it did end up costing a small penny compared to Yammy which is only 160 bucks.

Bubs

Hi - what i settled for was the vessel view set up that lets me see data on the smart phone - not on the console or on a lowrance hds
    cheers
    Attachment 127370

Ausfish Platinum Member

I know this was an older thread, but I have a Vessel View Mobile unit if anyone wants one, cheap. Someone else may as well have the use of it. It's sitting here doing nothing since I went for the gateway to give me the use of the Raymarine Vessel View app displayed on my Axiom. The VVM module was included in the deal when I bought the 150 , worked fine, used it for sea trials.
    If you want basic Merc info on Raymarine, all you need is one of the later gauges ( I used the Towpro) with an NMEA200 output, connect it to your backbone, Then most of the info is available via the Dashboard app and Fuel Manager. fuel flow and economy, fuel totaliser, RPM, engine temp, oil pressure, voltage.