Page 1 of 44 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Sounder Reading

Sounder Reading

This post is in responce to some comments made on a thred in the saltwater section started by Burley_Boy, ref sounders, some of the comments were of the nature that some people have not seen an arch on their sounder and were wondering if the arch was a fallacy. While out fishing today I took the following photos of my sounder and have explained my interpatation of what is shown. The sounder used is a lowrance X97, it is set on auto for all of the photos, and the boat is drifting. Can users of other model sounders post some photos on this thred as well so that people new to the game may get some Idea of what they are looking at.
    Photo 1 scattered schools of bait

Re: Sounder Reading

Photo 2 arrows numbered 1 are scattered fish (queenfish of 50-80cm
    arrow number 2 school of bait

Photo 3 school of active fisf in this case more queenies but with the odd golden trev mixed in with them

Photo 4 a school of fish holding on the edge of a drop off, arrow points at what I would calla single fish

Photo 5 this is it a complete arch as well as a partial arch 2or3 smaller fish here. arrow points to a small bait ball

Photo 6 not your classic arch but close enough, 3or 4 large fish shown here with the top fish moveing down to the bottom

Photo 7 the classic arch by 2

Photo 8 2 large fish moveing thru

Photo 9 not of sounder but the only golden trev I landed today in amongst about 30-40 queenies, after taking the photos I spent the rest of the time dropping plastics the the schools of fish.
    Ian

CHRIS_aka_GWH

excellent idea - i'll see if i can get some on film of estuary stuff around the pin -

notice class the degree of snowing in ian's shots - he's got the sensitivity up & if he's like me the filters off

Hi Ian
    Thats really top stuff, if I wonder out over the weekend I will get some pics of my crap sounder and put up, prob be just bottom as there seems to be no fish at the moment, think they have all gone for warmer pastures
    cheers
    blaze

CHRIS_aka_GWH

back the tail of ya boat over one of those salmon farm nets blaze - that should show some arches

good work on the picks

Looks like a top days fishing under that sounder.

Snaffled some of these pics from a post back in December

This is a pic of a ledge we fish for Snapper. Typically it is a reef rising from the sand. Notice on the left how thick the bottom is shown, this is sand. Less reflection = more absorbion of the sonar signal so a thinner line. Notice on the right how thick the bottom is, this is reef. Harder surface = more reflection.

You see the bait schools holding on the reef. The one closest the top will be a bait school or similar. The larger shoals are squire & snapper.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM