Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Sounder Reading

Re: Sounder Reading

The sounder at the rear doesn't show interference from the front one. I'll try turning thr back one off next time and see how it shows up.

What's everyones opinions on the other marks showing up on the screen? ???

Fish? singles of bait schools?
    Structure?

Also, how should I set up the noise reduction and gain? ???

Swoffa,
    Here a link if it works to Humminbirds troubleshooting page to do with Trolling motors. http://www.humminbird.com/generic2.asp?ID=435

It may give something to try or look at

Regards Fordo

Thanks Fordo.

The unit itself seems to be working alright as far as power goes, and now I know that the other sounder is causing the interference I can just turn it off or put up with the marks.

My question is more about interpreting the display and setting up the unit to show fish and not all the other crap. I want some tips on what setting to adjust to give the most accurate display, and how to read the display. (ie. what's structure, what's fish schools and what's individual fish?)

I was kinda hoping that someone could go through the sturctures shown in some of my photo's and tell me what they see them as being...

I stopped the interference by running the sounder on 200Hz only.

Now I have to install a grounding wire to reduce further interference from the maxxum feature on the MK.

swoffa,
    Here go's my best guest, pics 1, 3 and 4 interference.
    pic2, 2 fish on right hand side of sounder.
    pic5 2 ledges, lower one looks likes it has a overhang, bait holding over them.
    pic6, hard to say but here go's, top line a fish moveing down closer to the bottom, middle fuzzy line, fish right on edge of tranducer cone or a steam of bait fish, bottom line a fish or more likely some thing suspended/anchored off the bottom. Hang a bait/plastic
    directly under the transducer next time you are out and you will see what I mean.
    Cheers Ian

Thanks for that Ian. There seems to be some consistency in what everyone is saying, which is helping be to read the sounder.

I installed the grounding wire (connected the -ve of both batteries), I haven't noticed a difference but it should help prolong the life of the Garmin.

I run a Matrix 37 and am curious if others have preferences using the whiteline/structure ID / or the inverse function. I'm getting better with this unit but there is heaps more to learn.
    thanks

was out chaseing sails on monday when I took this photo, sorry about the quality. What the solid red shows is wall to wall bludger trevally that would gang rape the pushers every time we got this show, in the end whoever did'nt hook one had bragging rights, caught them on pushers,plastics and fly. Raised 7 sails for 5 shots and missed them all
    Ian

one of the bludgers jigged up on a snapback.
    Ian

Love catching those buggers

I Guess you could say I just bumped this, but has anyone more recent info as an amature this thread is fantastic and has alredy solved some of my problems.
    Thanks

I have to agree with many others that this is an incredibly invaluable post. Especially coming from someone who is in the process of deciding on a fish finder/sounder for a 4.2m tinnie. On that point I have been looking at Lowrance X47, X47 E and Eagle. I know I should spend more but after doing the finances on a new 420 Quintrex explorer and a 30hp Yammy I need to make do as best I can. I will predominatly be using the outfit in Nth Qld creek systems. I know that this is in a different ball park to the previous discussions which centred on offshore hints, but I think info for the estuary fisho would be greatly appreciated.
    Leaning towards Lowrance at present as it seems to have the best pixel resolution for that price....as I know I can get the x47 bought an installed for $300. Does anyone have any thoughts on this model ???

Hi mullet,I"ve got a lowrance x47e I"m very happy with it it does a great job for the price.It gives good reading at speed and the zoom gives pretty good detail.I payed $250 a year ago ,so you have got a good price for $300 bucks installed.What got me in was the size of the screen,after 20 years of welding the eyes aren"t as good as they could be.
    I own a 4.2 wide body Quintrex, happy with that to.
    Cheers stu.

Thanks heaps for the feedback Stu. Yep I can get the X47 bought and installed for very around $310 but the X47e is about $50 more. Both have exactly the same functions just that the X47e has a bit bigger screen. I thought that a Lowrance would be a quality product but with so many about(and me not bein an electronics genius) just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.
    As a matter of interest Stu what make of quinny do you have and what pushes it.
    The mullet