Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Sounder Reading

Re: Sounder Reading

HERES A PIC OF MY NEW RIG, LCX 15MT, STILL LEARNING HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OF IT. IT REPLACES MY X51.

IT IS IN SIMULATOR MODE SO DONT ASK ABOUT THE CHART DIPSPLAY!!

MY CUSTOM BOX IS GREAT, COULD SIT ON IT ITS SO STRONG!!

MICK

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech
    So Heath, we have you, Brian, Greg, Flathead Fred that write for B&B. I think I recall Jeremy do a few writeups of his club as well. Are there any others hidden under an alias? Just curious. Adds a different dimention to reading a magazine when you feel like you sort of know the contributors.

Cheech
    You also have Clutter & Mono (Mark Stuart) as well. Bill Corton sometimes sticks his head in & oh' don't forget Nugget as well. Oh almost forgot.... Alan Deaner is on here as well.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

bidkev

A brillaint thread and most informative. can anyone give me their take on these 3 pics. It would be interesting to see how different individuals would interpret them.

cheers

kev

bidkev

pic 2

bidkev

pic 3

ok I am just bumping this cause i think its too good of a learning tool to disapear, hope to put mine own pics to it when i get some
    Maybe it could be edited and made sticky
    cheers
    blaze

OK I'll give this a go... I have only learnt how to interpret them through this topic.

Very simply
    1. Thermocline at 40m (feet?) Wrong
    2. Larger predators above this thermocline Wrong
    3. Baitfish belowwrong

As for specific species I guess you cant tell until you drop a hook down there.

G'day Mini,I think you'll find number 1 is the bottom,number 2 could be worth a drop,but the lack of structure would say to me they are on the move and number 3 are the echo tails.

King tin,I have a unit similar to this and I find it better to run the screen split three ways,a zoom showing the bottom third of the water column,a full top to bottom window and A scope to show what is exactly under the boat at any given time.

Wow... How wrong was I...

F for me!!

Is the bottom hard there??

I was looking at that completly out of scale!!

Dumb-arse!! [smiley=dunce.gif]

Hi guys,
    I'm new to this site (although a few of you should know me from around the traps). A mate emailed me the link to this thread and I have to say it's one of the most educational threads I've ever seen on a fishing site.

I recently installed a Garmin 160 Blue on my boat and I'm haveing trouble setting #it up and getting clear readings. Has anyone else played with this unit?
    Mine is installed on my Minn Kota so I can see it up the front, ie. it doesn't get used when I'm underway. I also have a crappy Raymarine sounder at the rear of the boat, I only trust that sounder for bottom structure and occasional holding fish.

I mainly fish shallow water for bream and jews, so I should be able to distinguish fish from structure. At the moment I'm running it on dual frequency (50khz and 200khz) and running most of the seeting on "auto" (gain, noise reduction, range etc.). All I'm getting is either a mostly blank screen or heaps of patches and dots coming through. I can't get anything resembling an arch, I can only distinguish fish when the symbols are turned on. Any pointers on fine tuning the setup? Ie. adjusting the gain and noise reduction.

If it's ok with you guys I'll take some pics of the screen while watching my other sounder on fish symbols so I know what's fish and what's not, and I'll post them up for you gus to interpret. #

Thanks in advance,
    Andrew

Hi Andrew
    first up welcome
    This is indeed a good learning tool and it is good to see it back at the top again, post some pics of your sounder in action. Must do the same myself (weather gods are ya listening)
    cheers
    blaze

Thanks mate.
    I just remembered that my Minn Kota is with BLA getting fixed, so I can't use that sounder until I get the motor back. I'll get some pics asap.

Quote Originally Posted by swoffa
    Hi guys,
    I'm new to this site (although a few of you should know me from around the traps). A mate emailed me the link to this thread and I have to say it's one of the most educational threads I've ever seen on a fishing site.

Andrew
    Surprised it took you so long to get here Swoff. You might also know me - I cooked you a barby breakfast not so long back. You are 100% correct with the above statement. You almost got to see it previously because I thought it was so good I posted a link to it on Sportsfish about 2 months back. Unfortunately they deleted my post within minutes. Bloody inter-forum rivalry goes too far sometimes. Site owners should see the value to their members thats in a post like this and let it ride.

Peter? I can't remember who was cooking the bbq that day...

I thought I'd signed up here before, but I had to register yesterday, now I'll never get any work done.

The inter site rivalry gets to me to, especially with a thread as useful as this. In the past when asking boat questions I've had to post them on 3 sites instead of one with a link on the other 2... I guess it'll be 4 sites now.