Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041424344 LastLast

Thread: Sounder Reading

Re: Sounder Reading

Quote Originally Posted by googarra View Post
    the red looks like fish close together. The green is fish arches. I am trying to figure out what depth you are in.
    Lot of little fish in shallow water, or a nice show in deeper water.
    I think it was about 4m

I'm currently having what I think is an issue with my Lowrance HDS5. Irecently had my switch fixed and when the sounder was plugged in a turned on the sonar image had vertical green bars running through it. It is out of water but i can't recall it happening before. I hope the dog hasn't stuffed it up.
    Thats another one for the Punisher!

hey guys , great thread, just bought a lowrance elite 5 combo, haven,t had it in the water yet due to working away, can someone give an insight as to what prawns show as , previous b+w el cheapo didn,t show them up, would like to have it sorted before next season,thanks, royslaven

From my little experience with prawns, and just what I have read and seen in photographs in a Lowrance how to use Sounder K-mart book, if they bunch up it will look like a bait school.

If the spread out it will look like a lot of interference on your screen. Apparently they move about and spread quickly rising and falling in the water column depending on what is chasing they, and something always is.

Just adding a few more shots of interest and keeping the thread going. A while back I had a discussion about the Lowrance HDS systems not reading well at speed or in deep water. As I rarely go deep it took a while to reply.

The first pic is the wreck of the lady bowen near Kennedy Shoal (north of Hinchenbrook) Nice fish show.

shot 2.jpg

This is the structure scan 'downscan mode ' in comparision to the sonar. Look at it for a while and you can make out the bow and other bits.
    shot 1.jpg

At speed with a standard 83/200 transducer still gets a good bottom read.
    shot 16.png

Just the luck of the draw with the HDS units, some can and some wont at speed.

I have since done a refurb of some electronics and keen to get out and have a look. I welded an alloy extension and attached it next to the keel and now have an airmar 1kw tilted elements transducer streamlined to the hull. Also a new transducer for the Humminbird Matrix 97.

So the score now is:-

1) In hull standard trans for the Hum
    2) Transom mount standard for the Humm
    3) Standard transom for the HDS
    4) Airmar 1kw for the HDS.
    5) Structure Scan trans for the HDS on transom.
    6) Navionics Gold all of Aust for both HDS and Hum
    7) Broadband radar for the HDS
    8) Heading sensor for the HDS radar overlay
    9) High performance External antena for the HDS
    10) Nemea 2000 fuel flow sensor EP 60 for the HDS
    11) 3 bilge pumps and a plug in spare
    12) 3 fire extinguishers
    13) 3 batteries, 2 are 750 amp hour cranks
    14) New deckwash piped from salt to fresh with changeover tap.
    15) a sink tap fitted to the bait board off the pump
    16) Electric flush toilet
    17) 2 quality compasses, both illuminated from the dash light.
    18) Merc Smartcraft system

I think I have a problem now and I may need counselling, so wifey says with strange looks, she may be right. If I dont stop soon I wont have room for passengers. Barely time to fish now with so much to play with

googarra,thanks for the reply, from what i can gather when the prawns aren,t real thick, they appear as a single verticle line as they shoot up from the bottom , or appear as single pixels when stationary.... does this sound about right? and as you say look more like a bait ball when lots are about? what do you guys think? pero might have an opinion.... where are you pero, cheers royslaven

This may sound a bit silly but have had a lowrance LMS 332 colour for a while fishing the bay.. About to do some offshore fishing now with the club and would appreciate any tips in setting up ie sensitivity etc. this unit is about 6 year old model. Thanks Paul....

Very informative thread this one...thanks to all who've taken their time to post...now I have some ideas next time I'm out on the water.
    Amazing stuff this technology to think that not very long ago we used landmarks to get to our favourite fishing spots (until the skyline changes) - then its more of a miss than a hit ...please keep posting!

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

mini-033.JPGmini-032.JPG
    here are a couple of trolling passes over a fusilier school on the reef. In one you can see a couple of small spaniards at the top of the school. The fish we picked up were only a couple kilos, barely legal. The sounder is a Lowrance lcx112c. I've just managed to pick up a broadband box for it so looking forward to seeing the difference.

Here is a pic of my Sitex SVS 650 right at the momment of hooking a double header of dhu fish. You can see the bait and rig hitting the bottom as well. Settings are on manual gain, 200 hz and bottom lock.
    Cheers Mal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Any comments on the bottom?
    Are the arches squid? Caught some.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deeper Still View Post
    Sounder shot

The result
    That is one hell of a depth to jig at let alone bait fish or are the fish just as happy to grab anything. Last time I was at Fraser we tried for the bar tail cod at only 240 mteres and that was bad enough as it was a slow couple of days and even the pros were doing it tough.

Quote Originally Posted by apisfish View Post
    Any comments on the bottom?
    Are the arches squid? Caught some.

Mark
    Mark,

increase your colour setting, that will give you better information on the density of the bottom, that first pic isnt showing enough definition, you cant tell if its squid or not, it just shows that the return was facing the same direction that you were, nice arches tho.

Regards
    HOnda.

Thanks HOnda for the response.

So I guess your saying the color setting should be adjusted (ie increased to the red )to show the lump (probabaly rock) as a redish shadow below it , thus indicating a harder object than its surroundings which were known to be sand/silt.. and the arches are just that, several objects ,unidentified till landed but at that depth and position and relative to the lump and a known species to frequent that location at that time of the year, probably squid or am I still missing the point ?

Regards Mark
    Last edited by apisfish; 07-05-2012 at 10:31 PM.