Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344 LastLast

Thread: Sounder Reading

Re: Sounder Reading

OOdies,

thats a prett good image, is that using down scan?

this image is the tiwi pearl on an hds at 200khz,

Regards
    Honda

Guys

I have a question regarding when to use 50 mhz or 200mhz. I have been using this feature on my furuno 620 . colour erase 10%, Clutter 20%
    TVG- Medium and B/L
    I know some people use 20% colour erase and 30% clutter?? so which is a general good setting.

What depths do i change from 200 mhz to 50mhz.

Timddo; you could use 50khz from as little as 10mtrs out to it's max depth around 300mtrs. However the picture produced by 50khz is quite different to 200khz. 200khz has a shorter transmission pulse and a much narrower beam angle. These 2 things produce a sharper picture that is able to see individual fish better. 200khz is also much better at showing the shape of the bottom or a wreck. 50khz has the advantage of going much deeper , but fish travelling through the wider beam get pinged several times and so show as a large patch or arch. Also several fish together will show as one large blob. 50khz does has a better ability to show subtle bottom changes , say from sand to an area of small stones, this can be seen by careful study of the sounding tails. I could go on for hours about the differences as it is a complex subject. In practice most people would use the 200khz out to at least 80-100mtrs. hope this helps.

Sorry im just playing with the sonar log viewer and couldnt resist, a shot form our last trip, Im thinking baitfish been rounded up on the bottom with some larger beast up above them? Or maybe some weed/baitfish on the bottom, in about 60m of water with the HDS10
    Sonar 22 June.jpg

Cheers
    Josh
    Yalta Craft 555HC, "BIMINI TWIST", home port Gladstone
    Member of the Yalta Craft Appreciation Society

Josh, I remember seeing something like in the 60's... nope, must have been the seventies.

As long as you can interpret it, it's all good.

LP>
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by four_button_arnie View Post
    Sorry im just playing with the sonar log viewer and couldnt resist, a shot form our last trip, Im thinking baitfish been rounded up on the bottom with some larger beast up above them? Or maybe some weed/baitfish on the bottom, in about 60m of water with the HDS10
    Sonar 22 June.jpg

Cheers
    Josh
    very interesting shot of sounder
    But did you pull any fish from this ?
    I 'm asking becouse I had same picture on my sounder and as soon this came on ,it just go dead.
    and soon as this is over we start pull big reds
    cheers

We where getting crap fish and some small green jobbies, alot of sharks around, some big hits down low but nothing to show for it!

Josh
    Yalta Craft 555HC, "BIMINI TWIST", home port Gladstone
    Member of the Yalta Craft Appreciation Society

a couple of nice arches near Cairns in fairly shallow stuff. I'm not sure what they were but I'm definitely going back to see if they're still there! Judging by the size tho and that they were hugging the bottom, probably barra or black jew IMO...
    Attachment 69798

I've got a quick question, having difficulties locating arches on the sounder while moving, it's seeing them as dots or sometimes as nothing, unless i'm floating or stopped. Now I'd like to ask if this is normal. I didn't experiment much, but I'd like to know what would the image look like if sounder was too much up or down from horisontal level of the boat. Also, if waves are passing sometimgs the bottom looks like choppy waves. Is this normal.
    Sounder is Lowrance Elite 5x DSI.

Cheers,
    daki

humberbird hey ive got one of those pieces of SHIT first the transducer shit itself and yes doent pick up much on screen
    go all the way out to a reef and then ur sounder doesnt work g8 stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Burley_Boy View Post
    So at the 24fathoms I'd get pumelled by a whale before it would register on the sounder but here I've come in a lot shallower (still a few K's out the seaway and I spotted this contour. The sensitivity is on Max but I'd say there is enough structure there to mark the point and I'll be interested in checking this spot with my new Matrix37X that has just been fitted.
    There was definitely both reef and reef fish at this point.

hi,
    I have been trying to work out what this is, unshore if it would be fish as there no real arch?
    Can anyone help me.
    I was in the bay out from beachmere.
    KIDS 203.jpg

Yrrab,

you have arches, there are a number of arches in green lines, the red looks like bait, or could be condensed group of fish, tight together.

Regards
    Honda.

Thanks honda900 for your reply and all of the other information
    It has help me out heaps

the red looks like fish close together. The green is fish arches. I am trying to figure out what depth you are in.
    Lot of little fish in shallow water, or a nice show in deeper water.

Hopefully someone can help me i run a HDS combo and the Elite DSI combo, the transducers are right next to each other, i read on post 118 that there could be interferance from to transducers together however this is back in 2004 its now 2011 have we advanced enough that there is no longer interferance? I have just moved the transducers together and have not had the boat in the water since, the next time the boat will be in the water will be an overnighter and its a bit hard to change the transducers at that point so i would be looking at changing them before then.
    moving the transducer on nthe other side of the boat is not an option as this is in line with the turn of the prop.
    Also i am trying to get my head around the DSI and not sure of the gains etc i should be using for say fishing the bris river

Lucas